[sDOM.I] Map List Discussion

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

[sDOM.I] Map List Discussion

Postby ulo » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:31 am

Time has come to open up for discussion on the map list for the coming sDOM season. We will be going out from previously used map lists and modify them.

Last used map list was:
Campgrounds
Cinder
Curse][
Deck16][
Ghardhen
Nitro
Olden
Peak
Seraphim
SlimeTime
Tempest
Typhoon

This was fairly big map list and had a few maps that I and the other admins have agreed didn't work all to well. So we will be removing Cinder, Curse and Deck.

Cinder we tried to remake and it does work okey, but we feel there are better options out there and Cinder can remain one of the better iDOM maps instead.

Curse works fairly okey also, but the distance and dead parts of the map makes it slightly boring and it was a very specialized map. So we have decided that we can find better options.

Deck simply doesn't work. It's all about fragpower and it had a huge amount of blowouts which is not the way we want domination maps to work.

With those maps removed we are on 9 maps. This feels like a okey number, but we have a few maps out for testing now and we hope two of them can be deemed worthy enough to be included making the map list 11 maps. We still want to know what you feel about the maps left and how you rank them. So I have created this to gather information on the popularity of the maps in the map list.

Until the draft it's okay to pick the new maps on the servers without consent from the other team's captain. It's also still okay to pick the maps being removed until further notice.

Give your thoughts on the maps left and even more we want your thoughts on the maps currently being tested.
ulo

Re: [sDOM.I] Map List Discussion

Postby Viperzz^ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:34 am

Bloodrun was really fun when I played it. Need more ppl to check it out 8-)
Viperzz^

Postby MP/5 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:43 pm

taking curse out seems like a mistake to me. this map defiantly works and it brings something a bit different to the map list (lift jumps, "tricky" dodges in order to get to the cp faster). cinder also worked pretty good last season, even though i personally don't like the map too much, and was a pretty popular pick in pugs and if i recall also in matches. if its a pick between curse or cinder i would say curse is a much better map and should get a spot on the league map list.
regarding the new maps, rankin seems like a good edition to the map list with little to none changes (take that top spawn infront of the amp off flowx :OWpacorage: ).
played bloodrun 3 times and it still needs some changes imo to be a good map but overall i can see it working with some editing (the spawn at the top+ the teleport that brings you there just make the amp room way too hectic considering the lava position is also right in front of the amp and make getting the amp pretty useless). this problems might not be as big of an issue once people know the map better but i still feel the map can be improved if some kind of editing takes place. maybe remove that top spawn or change the teleport destination to a different room (bellow keg hallway?).
MP/5

Postby Hermione » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Campgrounds best map in sdom !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD
Hermione
banned

Postby csnafk » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:35 pm

csnafk

Postby Sauron » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:11 pm

Curse is just dull with people that shoot 40 acc regularly. Enter through a portal on a narrow bridge or a tiny lift? Enter through a long hallway or a narrow doorway? Everything is too constrained. Belt is too easy to control once timing is down. The map needs a large rework to be feasible in league play.
Sauron

Postby NakedMan » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 am

Too bad that cinder's out , map is working pretty well(in pugs at least).
Rankin could be a great edition to the maplist , bloodrun was also good although it needs some spawn changes , haven't got to play yet the windigo map.
NakedMan

Postby wndg » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:49 am

Cinder is the only one I am not glad to see go. I'm not too attached to it so much as I prefer it to olden, tempest, gharden.

Rankin is alright but I think cinder is more polished at the moment.
Bloodrun is kind of a clusterfuck where the amp is. There's two teleporters that lead to each hall up high near amp, plus spawns. Makes for a constant stream of people. The other routes weren't really utilized at all. This is coming from someone that played the map once though, on the lava point. Not certain the spawns will fix the layout so people have some variety and choices to attack lava, and maybe have some breathing room to boost for the amp.

mountain man is as playable as slimetime, imo.
wndg

Postby ramdrop » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:46 am

I think that Cinder should stay.. it's one, if not the most popular map, matches were close last season, so I don't feel that it should be removed.

I had a thought about an addition to the maplist if Curse goes out, for all of the iDOM'ers out there what about if someone (I could) looked at Cidom ? I think that could work well in sDOM.
ramdrop

Postby rasta-man » Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:51 am

yeah Bloodrun need a wall in the middle to stop the player that plays lava to kill players who come from teleport.
rasta-man

Postby Xenoscythe » Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:45 am

Really enjoyed cinder (post changes), I'm very very surprised to see it going considering how popular it was and is? Haven't had a chance to play any of the new maps yet but I've no doubt anything would be better than curse and deck.
Xenoscythe

Postby Cromaniac » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:47 am

Rankin is good.

Bloodrun has just one issue imo - high point is to easy to control once you take it over, specially if you have the amp. Spawn or 2 at lava enabling to come from behind would maybe fix it, also maybe widening the entrance when coming from teleport. Also there is a spawn that is right below the point where you come out of a high-teleport. I don't know how this spawn is good for other positions but for high i really dislike it. You get boosted down right as you spawn quite often because of high frequency of that teleport being used. It also doubles the chances of coming from front entrance to high point (where amp is) making the clusterfuck bigger.

Cinder i like and don't feel like it should be removed. I guess i can relate on how deck and curse can be frustrating at times, though i just look at it as challenging then. If problem on curse are the 2 long low corridors (dead parts of map) maybe make just one diagonal one with spawn in the middle? --- EDIT: actually no, then player on ledge could shot everyone at the opposite side lol
Cromaniac

Postby csnafk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:00 am

csnafk

Postby csnafk » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:07 am

csnafk

Postby ScReaM » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:11 am

curse and deck are the 2 worst map there :)

ScReaM

Postby ulo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:44 am

Curse, Cinder and Deck are gone 100%. If you still want to discuss them it's up to you guys but they will not be doing appearances during the coming league.

It's more down to do we want to add 2 new maps or is anyone on the list up for being replaced with one of the new maps. It's either going to be 9 or 11 maps with two new added and/or replace one on the remaining list with a new one.

So keep voting for your favorite maps here:

It's also free to discuss different ways of selecting maps. What suggestions do people have to? Elimination, picking or even ban, pick systems. We want your thoughts!
ulo

Postby RickJames » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:07 am

I think everything just depends on the quality of the new maps.

If we get 2 really exceptional new maps to add, then do 11 maps. If we have 1 that's so good it can replace one of the 9, then do that. If none of the new maps are real stand-outs, then I'd say just keep the current 9. Quality over quantity.

I will say that the current list of 9 is very good, and it would be hard to choose which of them to replace. Honestly I wouldn't trust a poll too much on that particular issue, since it would probably come down to personal preference more than anything else.

I prefer some picking format involving elimination. Straight picking isn't as well suited to a mod like sdom, where team strength can vary so wildly depending on map choice. Whether straight elim or a new system is better is debatable. You don't want everyone eliming the same maps (like what happened in ictf) but I don't see that happening in sdom.
RickJames

Postby rev » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:52 pm

Deck for sure out. Partially agree about cinder/curse but if it's already decided it's a moot point. Blood run needs to be added into season. If you say it's going in it will be lugged more and potential needed edits will be made before season starts. I like rankin but I feel like it has a huge amount of dead space. Maybe I just don't know the map that well yet. Haven't played mountain man.
rev

Postby flowX » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:18 pm

I would like a 11 map list and i would like to see Rankin in. Not only cause i made it..i think thats a really good map and i have fun playing it even if im Not good at it :p ( gonna remove high spawn at final Version )

Just played the the other maps once and didnt try bloodrun Yet. Some edits needed for windigos and rjs map before i could decide

P.s. cinder owns
flowX

Postby wndg » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:40 pm

Rankin is a nice port. So is bloodrun. Neither lend themselves to domination in the same ways other DM maps like peak and nitro do though.
wndg

Postby Sauron » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:23 pm

Haven't played Rankin yet but Bloodrun needs a lot of work.
Sauron

Postby exixt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:11 am

gu sdom1

inb4 rant
exixt

Postby Sonic|^ » Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:32 am

Campgrounds - Yes
Cinder - Yes
Curse][ - No
Deck16][ - No
Ghardhen - Yes
Nitro - Yes
Olden - Yes
Peak - Yes
Seraphim - Yes
SlimeTime - Yes
Tempest - Yes
Typhoon - Yes

Haven't played the beta maps so no comment.
Sonic|^

Postby Morpheus » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:05 pm

Morpheus

Postby ramdrop » Wed Dec 31, 2014 6:43 am

Played Rankin last night, interesting map, good port from 2k4 flowX.

Pros:
- Good mix of powerups across the map, belt is placed well, armour and vials.
- Points are spread out, fast paced map.

Cons:
- I feel the amp is useless, more cost than reward.
- No kinda like spawn room or something, so hard heavy fraggin team will dominate spawns
- Keg maybe to be moved, a dodge onto a platform or something? (Like a ramp on top of a box or so)
ramdrop

Postby Morpheus » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:11 pm

i can live with slimefest just put the rest as sdom I and LETS ROLL BABY
Morpheus

Postby JINNZILLA » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:29 pm

I thought cinder was OK, definitely take out Deck16][...

I had other comments but Scream's big titty chick GIF made me lose my train of thought
Image Image
JINNZILLA

Postby Morpheus » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:47 am

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

is this happening or what
Morpheus

Postby Cromaniac » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:44 am

To my previous vote for ranking, with this newest changes to map, i d like to vote for mountainman as well. Only spot that had issues was bath. Imo new changes fixed it along with couple of other small issues.
Cromaniac

Postby HULKSMASH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:45 pm

BUMP:

What beta maps do you think should be included this season?

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Next

Return to Leagues & Tournaments