OwnedWell Presents: Duel or Die

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

OwnedWell Presents: Duel or Die

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:31 am

Dear Ladies and Gentleboys,

15 years into our beloved game, I am pleased to announce OwnedWell Presents: Duel or Die.. A normal weapons 1v1 showdown with some of the all-time Unreal Tournament greats. We discussed a lot of the format on today, however this post will recap and explain how the tournament will work.

8 players received an invitation to the tournament. This means that they receive a bye in week 1 and play against the winners from the play-in round. There are 16 play-in spots up for grabs. They will not be first come first serve.. the play-in participants will be carefully vetted and assessed on skills/interest/activity. Names are just names and if we don't see a player taking the tournament seriously, we would prefer to give that spot to someone who will. If you are interested in participating in this tournament, post in this thread here and get active in #ipug or #ownedwell (we will be setting a bot with servers for players to practice).

Schedule:

Play-In: November 16th (or scheduled before)
Round 1: November 23rd
Round 2: November 30th
Round 3: December 7th
Finals: December 14th

We would like to cast every match in this tournament. Logistically it will be difficult but doable. The first two weeks of matches will each have 8 matchups so getting them all done on Sunday with iCTF running in the afternoon/evening will be difficult. We will look to reschedule a few of the games to times during the week. We will need players to work with us, however if we cannot all agree on a time, matches will be defaulted to Sunday and there is a chance that the game won't be covered.

Maplist:

Agony
Codex
Deck
Malevolence
Phobos
Sph3r3s
Terra
Turbine

The 1on1-DE14 versions will be posted on the servers this week. A lot will be the GUDM ones but not all of them. Additionally there are 8 maps listed above. One of them will be cut. Each of the invites can anonymously cast a ballot on which map they would like to see removed from the tournament. On October 26th, 2014, we will announce on stream which map is getting the axe and finalize the list at 7.

Map selection will be done via elimination. The two options are blind elimination on the website (make a list of most preferred to least preferred and have the site spit out the fairest maps) or one by one elimination on IRC.

Bracket:

16-16-8-4-2-1. 16 players will play-in and the winners will matchup with the 8 invites. The first 3 rounds will be BO/3 however the semifinals and finals will be BO/5. The winner of this tournament will need to master most of the maplist.

It's Duel or Die.. not Duel or Die and then live and then die again. It will be single elimination and the stakes will be high in every matchup. A bracket will be up on website a few weeks before the start of the tournament. Players will start being officially selected for the tournament on October 26th.

Servers:

MTL, NY, CHI, TX. The servers used will be the most fair servers for the participants. If there is no fair server for both players, they will alternate on the fairest servers. Euros who play will be allowed to play on the East coast in their matches.. no more Texas nonsense. I am expecting Chicago for most matches however I can see instances where TX (West/Central) and NY (EU) are played. Admins will handle server disputes and mediate disagreements. Admin decisions will be binding.

Prizes:

The prizes are not confirmed yet however we will be looking at giving OwnedWell T-Shirts to whoever lands on the podium and $100 to the winner. The prizes will be confirmed in the near future.

Additional Info:

FWS will be ON.
Players with 120hz+ should set their netspeed to 10 000.
Seeds will be released November 2nd.

---------------------------------

If you have any questions or suggestions about the format of the tournament, post them here. If you are interested in participating, post here and talk to me on IRC.

---------------------------------

Interested Players:

JYB
LaG|RickJames
blackout\\
rootsoft
SunnY
HuMPtY
linoleum
dev
kud
TSM
d1sc
ShatteredX
Imperium

ramdrop
z4t4n
PACO

Re: OwnedWell Presents: Duel or Die

Postby z4TaN » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 am

I am Ready for play, and remember, I am in Argentina. Later talk with you paco...
z4TaN

Postby RickJames » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:55 am

Since kea upped the tick on his servs to 70, I've had no issues with any netspeed. 20k and 144hz feels great, although lowering netspeed still gives more smoothness at the expense of some responsiveness. Definitely don't need to use 10k anymore though, as long as we stick with 70+ tick servs.

Surprised that d1sc and blackout weren't invites, both way better than snky and n1ne. Even with 130+ ping, d1sc has been beating the very best in praccy games.

Can't imagine any map besides turbine being eliminated (as much as I love original turbine). Please use original deck. Has gudm version of agony been playtested? Dunno how changed spawns work there, they ended up not affecting codex much which is good.
RickJames

Postby ramdrop » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:53 am

I would offer to play, but I suck balls in Normal Weapons, but would be willing to give it a go..
ramdrop

Postby Lineage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:40 pm

I don't see Humpty? :OWfacepalm:
Lineage

Postby HUMPTY » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:43 pm

lol thx lineage, but im not very good anymore;p (not that i was a top weps guy) but i could hold my own 1v1 vs most people;p

i told paco i might play in the playin part

on another note d1sc should of gotten an invite -imo- if hes interested in playing with high ping anyways
HUMPTY

Postby Lineage » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 pm

just thought you did really well in a previous nw duel tourney xD
Lineage

Postby rootsoft » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:27 pm

.join
rootsoft

Postby SunnY » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 am

i'd play
SunnY

Postby z4TaN » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:39 pm

z4TaN

Postby HuggleMonster » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 am

zatan have you any youtube material of you playing nw? just curious :OWpacorage:
HuggleMonster

Postby z4TaN » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:37 am

sure, check my channel z4TaNut
z4TaN

Postby linoleumbonaparte » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 pm

I am showing interest and would like to video game in this tournament
linoleumbonaparte

Postby Zac » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:12 pm

Hmmm I'd watch those streams

<+Se7eN> zac's UT mouse is like a Wii controller, he has to swing that shit like a wildman

Steam Name: nut_zac
Zac

Postby RickJames » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:17 am

Please add lino to the list immediately

Ram has no experience and z4tan has argentina ping, so I guess they want to only add them if there aren't better players. Lino is legit though.
RickJames

Postby z4TaN » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:30 am

No problem sure I can win one or two matches...
z4TaN

Postby dev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:29 pm

i'd play!
dev

Postby PACO » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 pm

10/26/14

.ip20 and 21 are both set up for this tournament in #iPug. RickJames will also be setting some servers on his VPS. We will also set a NY/TX server. Vote the maps with DE14. Considering setting up duel on the pugbot but I feel like duel has always been something easy enough to ask for.

Interested players have been added to the list. We will continue to add players who show interest and will slot in active players for the tournament in the next 1-2 weeks.

One map still needs to be eliminated. I'll be collecting map elims from the invites this week.

Expect the actual bracket in the near future.

-PACO
PACO

Postby KillEmAll » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:44 am

KillEmAll

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:00 pm

PACO

Postby THESEXIESTMAN » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:08 pm

Very weird how paco show interest on true ut since he doesnt even play it (not skilled enought) but still a good friend.

On other topic, the invited list is very small, Nine has been defeat 3 of 3 games by me, Nanm2 of 2 games, and Dakanasta 1 of 2 games.

I see bleh from europas but i dont see D1sc the guy that put a lesson vs Dakanasta and blackout last time, i think thats very disrispectfull thing, considering guy like Skype can play only deck and maybe spheres (another good friend but the facts dont say lies), and nine probably can even get defeated by calippo or ryu at this moment.

Obviously no one wana watch people like Killem (defeat him by more than 30 frags), RickJames (I play him aliased, just messing around and hes worst than before seriously he should be silenced), Zatan (defeat him 4 straight games on argentina server by more than 20 frags) or ig players playing weapons... but the invited list is way too small.

Is hard to see, but i have reached the skill level of the self proclaimed pros, they must feel bad.

Paco has made very bad choices, like give admin to those noob argentinians on teamspeak and they ban me always and they are completly nobodies in the game, no one from there is good, same with the chileans.

Add to the invite list, D1sc, Tsm, maybe bryan and some other (right now even darth and meh are better than nine), then the tournament start. Since xbds isnt around the winner is sly or Dakanasta, and theyre untouchable right now, why play more rounds?

Defeatin dakanasta in our only 1v1 duel, 1 of 2 maps, the last map was tie until server crash but dakanasta stop playin cos he get mad so that should be 2 of 2 wins.

This is me playin Nanm, first game was liandri i win, hes pick was codex and i win too. Another overated player that is invited.

This is Nine i defeat when i was very bad he rage quit Liandria and i defeat him on agony and Liandri too. 3 of 3 games.

This is the evidence it shows that invite list is fucked up.
THESEXIESTMAN

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:13 pm

TSM I hope you prove me wrong but I heard you would not make it past the first round. :OWpacorage:
PACO

Postby KillEmAll » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:00 pm

KillEmAll

Postby z4TaN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:05 pm

z4TaN

Postby dasnaksta » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:08 pm

To TSM,
I understand Paco not giving you any invites, considering you constantly 1) ask your opponent to suicide during a match, 2) switch team to suicide if you're not happy about how the scores look, and 3) ask sLY to spam/call the shit out of me on Steam while you're playing me.
No one wants to see blowouts and see you getting beat 30-0 in "official" matches and prove once again that you are worthless against the invitees.

You will be n1ne', nanm' and my level once you beat us 50% of the time.
Only taking pictures of your wins, omitting the 99 losses/blowouts you received prior, only makes you lose more and more credibility.
At this right moment, you just passed the 1% mark against me, despite that win was earned with your bullshit behaviours enumerated above.
dasnaksta

Postby z4TaN » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:43 pm

truth
z4TaN

Postby THESEXIESTMAN » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:47 am

THESEXIESTMAN

Postby detox » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:32 pm

I like rj's idea of having the winner of TSM vs. RickJames 2 receiving an invite.
detox

Postby KillEmAll » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:02 pm

KillEmAll

Postby Hertz » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Hertz

Next

Return to Leagues & Tournaments