Create Your Own Crosshairs!

Jump to: Board indexShare your stuff!Gaming Media

Anything gaming related.

Create Your Own Crosshairs!

Postby Zac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:08 pm

With a little bit of Photoshop/Photo editing software knowledge, you can create your own crosshair(s) that's comfortable for you.
WARNING - This tutorial I made is in Photoshop CS6, most other versions of photoshop are very similar, but for other programs it may be very hard to follow!

UT works in powers of 2 ( 2, 8, 16, 64, 128, 256, 1024, 2048, etc ) and crosshairs are most preferred on 64x64 so create a new project that's...
64x64, RGB and transparent. * make sure it's pixels!!

To make things a lot easier, lets put on some grid lines so we can find the center of the project. There is a problem with these even numbers, there is no center pixel, so if you want a more basic cross, kind of like the default crosshair, you will have to sacrifice being 1 pixel off.

Putting it on a comfortable gridline spacing of every 8 pixels and only 1 subdivision. You can put to what ever you want, but make sure you get the center figured out from the lines.

* TURNING OFF SNAP WILL PREVENT SOME WEIRD SNAPPING TO THE GRID
if it's on, there will be a check next to it and if it's not there won't be a check next to it.

Since the crosshair texture is black and white, we'll start off with a white background and we'll invert it later. So get that paint bucket and switch the color to white and dump it onto the page.

Now that the background is white, lets start drawing our crosshair. To make it a lot more flexible and easier for us, create a new layer above the white background so if you screw up, you won't erase or delete any of the white, just the black.

Using the pencil will make drawing your crosshair easiest, it draws 1 pixel dots so you get more control. The paintbrush will make bigger and bulgier spots, not what you want.
* MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH THE COLOR BACK TO BLACK!!! Switching the colors or hitting the default button will help.

This is what I made as a test crosshair, it's simple and funny looking. It's almost ready, we just need to invert the colors.

To invert the colors, press CTRL+i or go this in the picture....

UT has a weird compatibility system, so we have to change the project's RGB color system to the Index Color system
It will ask you flatten layers, hit yes
A small dialogue box will come up about Indexed Color settings, leave everything default and hit OK

Now save it out! but as a .PCX.... who the hell uses PCX anymore?/1/1/

Open up your Unreal Editor ( UT>System>UnrealEd.exe )and go to your Textures window
Go to the top of it at File and then to Import
( hit the red marked button at the top in this picture if it's not open by default )

Go to where you saved your crosshair file and open it.
A small dialogue box will come up that looks like this.
-Change the package name to whatever you want, like TheBestCrosshairs,
-Leave the Group name empty, it'll cause long texture location names and make a mess.
-Change the name of the texture to whatever you want, for mine I named it myawesomedot because it's an amazing dot, but not a dot.
After that leave everything default and hit OK
( MAKE SURE NOT TO OVERWRITE ANY OTHER .UTX PACKAGE!! )

After that, make sure to hit SAVE at the top with the 8-bit floppy disk icon.
Make sure you don't accidentally select another package in your Textures and overwrite, in general make sure an overwrite box doesn't come up.

Hold on there lil man you're not done. We have to go into your User.ini ( UT>System>User.ini ) and change a few things.
Once you are there, go to where you see a long list of crosshair names at Botpack.ChallengeHUD
You'll probably see your default or downloaded crosshairs here and look like a mess of parent and child names.
Choose the crosshair row you want to put your crosshair on, for mine it's the first crosshair slot at [0]
For your case being different than mine, fill in the first Package name with yours and the second name with the name of the texture in the package...( uh what? )

Crosshair[0]=YourPackageName.TheNameOfTheTexture

The name of my package is BestCrosshairs, the name I chose when importing the .pcx file.
The name of my texture is the myawesomedot, which the name I chose when importing it into the Textures.

Crosshair[0]=BestCrosshairs.myawesomedot

Test dat shit!1111!1!!1 :OWgrinsgasm:

Things you may have done wrong...
- Did you save the texture as .pcx? Step 10
- Did you make the texture Indexed color? Step 9
- Did you type in the package and texture names correctly? Step 13
- Did you use correct texture size? 64x64 Step 1
- Did save the texture package before exiting the Unreal Editor? Step 12

Hope I can make someone's day productive and happier now that they have an awesome possum crosshair in UT

<+Se7eN> zac's UT mouse is like a Wii controller, he has to swing that shit like a wildman

Steam Name: nut_zac
Zac

Re: Create Your Own Crosshairs!

Postby HULKSMASH » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:34 pm

Awesome thread Zac :) featured it on FB.

I'm definitely going to try this!

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby M3T4L||mll » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:44 pm

Nice tutto. i edited the patsui crosshair i just added an empty dot on midle and cut all extremes sides :) the problem is in high resolution looks a little big and i cant reduce the size :s

like this
M3T4L||mll

Postby Zac » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:44 pm

<+Se7eN> zac's UT mouse is like a Wii controller, he has to swing that shit like a wildman

Zac

Postby Chamberly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:08 pm

I remember doing this. :)
Chamberly

Postby bug » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:34 am

i am not very familiar with photoshop-like programs but a tutorial with a freeware (easy) program like paint.net should be advisable aswell.
good effort tho!
bug

Postby Zac » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Zac

Postby HULKSMASH » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:53 pm

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby kud » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:16 pm

good tutorial, I always forget how to do this. doing the next one on youtube would be extra work but I think it'd be useful. you just need a screen recorder program since windows movie maker should be sufficient for editing a youtube vid
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby NakedMan » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:28 am

NakedMan

Postby Zac » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:36 pm

Just made a few crosshairs, just some that I may use. Anyone want em?
download here: https://www.mediafire.com/?qu417i54aqiig9n
a basic cross type

ut2k4 2 sided

2 sided variation, just smaller.

Zac

Postby akito » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:11 pm

those 2 look nice zac, but when i use them, they just look like two fuzzy squares, and the first cross is invisible:(
akito

Postby Zac » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Zac

Postby Steel » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:50 am

Are multicolor crosshairs possible? I feel like i've seen screenshots of packs that have them. I've always wanted a dot crosshair with a black border to easily transition from dark to bright textures.
Steel

Postby akito » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:46 am

Here is how it looks on my pc, everything should be ok, i jjust pasted the files...
akito

Postby Zac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:43 pm

Zac

Postby Zac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:07 pm

Here it is, just replace the user.ini lines with the ones in the readme and replace the .utx

I changed the names of the individual textures,even though it's in it's own package, it can still have problems with other individual textures that have the same name.
https://www.mediafire.com/?0e4a69gnapc1aal

Zac

Postby Zac » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm

Zac

Postby Skoll » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:06 am

I have some 5 x-air packs that i have tried, got a mix of the ones i find useful for me, and my screen resolution, and game mod set in UT99 user.ini
The best pack i think was g1bhairz5 (i have 5 selectable), but i have at least one of each of 4 packs set for picking ^_^

Pack names are: g1bhairz5, headshot, ozchpack, unity_crosshairs. This last one is a chameleon (x-air changes color all the time it uses .gif? :o ) i found it too distracting xD but you can look it up; RainbowZ.

I don't have the links anymore, got them some 5y back, but ppl should be able to google them up by packname+crosshair+ut99. If not i think i'm only able to mail it or if get dropbox setting to work like i want them, that way xD

And btw, in all the multicolored x-air i use i set color to gold in UT and it displays colors correctly.. or at least red and green. It may depend on the multi-color scheme u want to use.

Edit: think i got dropbox going. To test it i'm posting a link to the g1bhairz5 folder. If u cant download it msg me, pls.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0p8uxrmic137 ... _bExa?dl=0
Last edited by Skoll on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skoll

Postby toymac » Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:19 pm

ok
toymac

Return to Gaming Media