CTF-Adonis

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Mapping

CTF-Adonis

Postby Swiftshade » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:25 am

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrhr4vehacuws ... s.zip?dl=0

Thanks to Paco for giving me suggestions and the encouragement to edit and finish this map.
Swiftshade

Re: CTF-Adonis

Postby vitrae » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:18 am

saw it the other day... looks nice although no idea how it plays out. I like the beach part too, dont know if PACO had anything to do with it but if he did it may have portuguese influence to it :lol:
vitrae

Postby PACO » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Swiftshade is the real deal, this map is AWESOME. It might need some tweaks (spawns/nerfed bouncer) but we will need some playtests before changing anything. I like the layout, the flexibility, the scenery and if you can't tell by how much I'm gushing, pretty much everything..
PACO

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:52 pm

OMG it's so preeeeetttyyy

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby PACO » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:54 pm

PACO

Postby Sauron » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:36 pm

What is altered from the original?
Sauron

Postby HULKSMASH » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:56 pm

Wow just walked through this map - didn't play it yet - but am in love with how it looks. Going to pick it next pug I play :)

HULKSMASH

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:46 pm

We playtested the map last night. It has a lot of potential however in it's current form.. it is too hard to defend. The scaling is nice and the options are nice however the map needs to be opened up a bit and tweaked.

Here are some suggestions:

Move the flag to this location. While it technically shortens the time from flag to flag, it gives defense a better vantage point to defend the flag.

Cut small slit type windows that players can be seen and shot through. Can add them on both sides for consistency. One of the problems is that it is too easy to lose players. Something like this makes it easier for both sides to keep track of the action.

This last change is one of the most important ones. While the current pillars make sense from a design pov, they make it too difficult to track the action going down on the beach. If they are removed and replaced with smaller pillars that players juke behind but still be tracked through, it would make the map flow a lot better.

Spawns will also need adjustment and tweaking. Making sure that they are oriented and facing towards the opposing teams base is important. I think after some edits, we can start to fine-tune where spawns should go.

Overall, great work with the map so far Swiftshade. :OWgrinsgasm:
PACO

Postby flowX » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:57 pm

i like how the map looks like and i like the size when it comes to the length...but i dont like the height...im not a fan of this big differences between high and low ...but dunno..maybe just my feeling...overall really good work by the mapper :)
flowX

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:34 pm

HULKSMASH

Postby Swiftshade » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:31 am

Swiftshade

Postby ulo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:08 am

I will shoot a fair few suggestions out. Not saying all of them needs to be implemented, not saying any of them needs to be implemented. But I will share my thoughts on the map since I was among those trying to defend that pug.

Before we go, great work so far Swiftshades. The map looks spectacular and has great potential.

This I think is the most crucial suggestion I am going to make. I feel like there was no real good collapse point, where it's hard for the flag carrier to go through. Taking away a big chunk of this pillar will open up a bigger view for defenders. From where I am standing I however think that the flag should not be visible. So some sort of dip still in the part should be made. But being able to see both high sides is not a bad thing however. This will open up and make shooting cross the map here possible, it's still by no means a secure return always simply cause you shot a flag carrier on the other side. But this will give the opportunity for players spawning to 1. Have knowledge of the enemy offence and 2. Be able to shoot them to some degree.

This is a very small thing, but getting a slightly bigger view of the beach from the other side could make sneaking out there harder. To not make the platform "float" midair I suggest small "ledges" holding it up, so the fastest and most secure way still is dodging over if you want to take this route.

Having the beach and scenery is beautiful, but it should not have a big impact on the game play. Cutting off the beach close to the base at the red lines to make going further towards the water impossible should force a more "natural" position on a flag stand of which is close to the flag.

With the flag being moved up top, this more sneaky way into the low part of base could be done. Narrow the entrance at the red marked area but open up to make low right longer and connect it with mid via a tunnel between the two black circles. This should also help to open up mid low as a more useful place and make it possible to sneak in behind defense, but at the cost of a slower pace to the flag.

These bridges I feel could be narrower, what this would do is to make it possible to shoot a flag carrier or a oncoming offence there from low. Returning a flag there while your low is still no easy thing since you will have to leave the view of it to get to it. The yellow triangles could be possible holes that a pixel shot could go through. Not a big change but if even one guy makes a amazing shot through them I think it's a win!

Not sure what to do here, since with the new flag position (which I personally like) this area feels slightly dead. Attacking through high is the fastest and easiest way. Sneaking in low and then exposing yourself on the jump pad feels like a lousy route now. I don't have any bright suggestions to hand, but I think some redecoration to make sneaking in behind defense could be nice. Specially if the base is opened up more as the first picture showed. Then getting a good sneak in path if you manage to get in low I think should be rewarded more.

I am pretty bad at bunny track so it could just be me being sloppy, but I couldn't pull this jump of cause of the speed on the elevator. Taking it's speed down slightly to allow this to be possible I think adds to the juking possibilities.

I took a fast look on the spawns, but as PACO say they can be fine tuned at a later stage, but I just found this spot which I believe could have a spawn. Facing towards the mountain aka top right.

Just want to point out again what I said in the beginning, those are suggestions and my thoughts. You don't have to implement any of them. However I hope they give some insight and that my logic and reasoning behind them is sound and that it provides you with some food for the thoughts.

Keep up the great work Swiftshades!
ulo

Postby Swiftshade » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:36 pm

Swiftshade

Postby HULKSMASH » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:55 pm

This map is amazing. Really aesthetically pleasing and feels super exciting for both defence and offence.

HULKSMASH

Postby PACO » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 pm

PACO

Postby Monk » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:51 am

It takes a few plays to decide whether a map will make it in a season imo - but this map has potential. My concerns relate to the sniper window aiming at the flag - but a fan of this at all.

Also the lifts are way too fast and cause a lot of newnet bugs for high pingers - they should be slowed down a little bit. Maybe make them silent too if they're slower.
Monk

Postby HULKSMASH » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:56 am

Yeah the lifts can bug out and go like up/down/up/down super fast but not entirely sure what causes this - maybe by not standing on it properly?

HULKSMASH

Postby Swiftshade » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:00 pm

The cause of the lift going back down is hitting your head on the ceiling above because of standing on the lift on its edge. It does this because of a setting in the mover "ReturnWhenEncroach ". However if I changed the setting to "IgnoreWhenEncroach" the lift would ignore the player and go right through you until its reached its destination.
Swiftshade

Postby Zac » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:03 pm

Overall nice job with the project, the water is nice, it's not a straight line, it's bumping like a real beach.
The texturing and trimming is perfect, nice job with that.
The lights are nice, the lens flares, right colors and placement of it and it's nice.

<+Se7eN> zac's UT mouse is like a Wii controller, he has to swing that shit like a wildman

Steam Name: nut_zac
Zac

Postby Monk » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:52 pm

Yeah the up and down fast thing is not what I meant - I know about that. Newnet sometimes bugs out when you change vertical direction quickly with higher ping - it thinks you're somewhere that you aren't.

On an unrelated note, the lift doesn't go all the way up to the height of the floor, therefore when you try and dodge off it at certain angles you can get minorly blocked:

http://i.imgur.com/Yx1cQFv.jpg
Monk

Postby Swiftshade » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/s/83pa6e52us2fd ... 6.zip?dl=0

Lifts now reach the height of the floor.

Lift move time is now 0.7 seconds from 0.5 seconds.

High spawn has been moved.
Swiftshade

Return to Mapping