CTF-Mesmerize

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Mapping

CTF-Mesmerize

Postby ulo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:45 am

So onto the second to last change map in the first pack. Mesmerize came in with storm before last season at globalunreal and was accepted in and being played a lot, people called it the new Duku which is a nice title to get for any CTF map. It started out with a fair few high cap results and has since then been going down when people have started to learn how to play it. It's a good map, but I always found the side spawns high to be really silly since it's so easy to be camped on them either by a attacker of a pushed up defense.

So the side high spawns was the thing we wanted to change, so from having this view:

You now have this when you spawn:

It will make it slower to attack from there but you will get a chance to spawn in most cases at least and be able to defend yourself. It might make it to fast to get back into base on the sides for defense, but I think that's worth the risk for being able to not be sniped by a pushed up defense.

Secondly I noticed that there was not a single spawn inside the base. Base spawns usually get "blocked" when a enemy is in there, so I thought that adding two base spawns that will make it slightly harder to fallback on a flag carrier is a good thing. Since this map as it's now I feel is a bit to easy to fallback on. So I think those two new spawns (one on each side of base) will make it easier for flag carriers and take more team work to keep the flag in place.

Here is the spawn:

I hope this will make the map give a few more chances even on hard falling back teams and a pushed up D or a attacker going high side is not going to get a few extra frags each time cause of spawns.

As always feedback, but keep it constructive please!

Download link:
http://www.file-upload.net/download-965 ... 5.rar.html
ulo

Re: CTF-Mesmerize

Postby Sauron » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:28 am

I don't like the inbase spawn AT ALL. That pretty much means incoming attackers will have to kill even more people to grab. As it is, a double kill is often required to grab. Now, you kill the first defender and they could pop out around either corner in their base, or simply camp the pillar waiting for you to grab (easy shot). That addition is TERRIBLE and will ruin this map even more. Not only that, enemy offense will spawn there! That means you will have more offense to fight through every single run. Awful awful awful change. The high spawn change is okay but makes it easier for defenders to get back into position inside the base as well.

What this map REALLY needs is more size. The width needs increased and the length needs increased. About 25-35% larger. This will spread out the spawn points as well as the exits and will make it more difficult to crash on the efc but will retain the flow. Changing the spawns at this point is just going to make things worse, as everything is too jumbled up.
Sauron

Postby ulo » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:08 am

ulo

Postby RickJames » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:15 am

My biggest beef with this map is the totally frag-oriented nature of it. I hate having to shoot that stupid side spawn over and over as I'm walking into base, it's just lame and not an interesting dynamic. Command spawn room is similar, but the sides are the best route on that map anyways and it's easier to simply out run and cut off slow defenders there. I'ts not all that uncommon (relatively speaking) to see simple double kill flag runs on command in stacked matches, whereas they are rare in comparison on mesmerize.

So I like getting rid of that side spawn dynamic, but that won't fix the lame point and click dynamic of this map by itself, and I fear additional spawns in flag room and other things might make it worse. If the map was bigger you could spread out spawns more, but the base-to-base distance obviously increases too then, so I'm not sure.
RickJames

Postby Darkside » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:51 am

change the high spawn. don't add any more.
Darkside

Postby pulip » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:05 pm

My thoughts on the changes you've made:

1. Good change, hate spawn killing
2. Not needed! Shit change.

Other changes I would like to see:

1. Something should be done so middle defenders wouldn't be able to see every side (low,mid, mid-high, high), maybe just lift the middle bridge a little (where you jump mid high base), or make little up/down thing going on middle.. I don't know how to explain this :/
2. Just remove this map.
pulip

Postby HUMPTY » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:27 pm

HUMPTY

Postby Sonic|^ » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:12 am

Sonic|^

Return to Mapping