[ASUS-Maximus VI Hero] USB Flashback Fail

Jump to: Board indexCommunityGeneral discussion

[ASUS-Maximus VI Hero] USB Flashback Fail

Postby bug » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:29 pm

i am moving to a new system (new mainboard, cpu, gpu, ...) and have to update the bios version on that mainboard.

it's the maximus VI hero and i've ordered the i5 4690k. i've found out that my previous owner (Qtax) used an older bios version which is not quite compatible with the i5 4690k so i started to do a usb flashback.
here my current steps:
1. turn off mainboard
2. put usb drive into usb flashback
3. turn (only) psu on and push usb flashback button

it starts to update the bios which is highlighted by some leds and blinking. it should normally take approximately 1-2mins. unfortunately the power on the mainboard gets automatically turned off after approx. 10 seconds after turning on the psu. the turning off process can be seen by some other leds (for instance, start/reset button leds on mainboard). so the bios is probably not updated correctly by now. this is something i'm gonna check later with older cpus by friends.

my question: did anyone experience such behavior of the mainboard in steady state with the psu? could that maybe psu related, like the psu does not deliver enough power after some time in steady state?
psu: enermax 425W pro82+

any kind of help is much appreciated as the internetz is not aware of such problem.
bug

Re: [ASUS-Maximus VI Hero] USB Flashback Fail

Postby KillEmAll » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:42 pm

A couple posts I found, maybe they will help.

------------------------------------------------------------

In the manual , under bios flashback - there is a certain USB port you are up posed to use - it also says to rename the bios file to CPT or something silly and random like that before copying it to the USB flash disk .

Step 1 - identify the correct port (check user manual which one)

Step 2 : rename and copy to USB

Step 3 : power off system and press ROG flashback button for 3 seconds until flashing light appears

Step 4 : wait till flash goes away

Hope it helps

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE: Thought I'd include a site that would help you better if my instructions were still confusing:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.ph ... ow-to-us...

Okay so I'm in the same boat, but I figured out what you need to do. What the guys above are suggesting won't work, the BIOS Updater is for if you have an operating system, which you don't (much like myself, we need to flash the BIOS before we put in our OS) okay SO!! This is what you do.

1.) Download the .CAP file from the website (like you already have done)
2.) Download from the BIOS-Utilities section the "Bios Renamer for USB BIOS Flashback and Crashfree BIOS 2"
3.) Put the renamer executable and the .CAP file into a single folder by themselves. Run the executible. Should create a file like M6E.CAP or something.
4.) Put THAT file (the M6E.cap) onto your flashdrive

NOTE: Make sure nothing else is on the flashdrive and that it has already been properly formatted to FAT32 before doing this.

Next:
1a) Plug in your MoBo to a power source
2a) Stick yo flashdrive into the USB port
3a) Press and hold the flashback button next to it for 3 seconds until the LED begins to blink (and then release)

Boom your done. Now you can continue with installation, putting your CPU, RAM, GPU, and all that good stuff together
KillEmAll

Postby bug » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:18 am

well, i already found such posts and tried exactly the same. but as i said, i think my psu needs some kind of a basic load in steady state to supply the mainboard. maybe someone else experienced something similiar.
bug

Postby kE- » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:00 pm

I told you to not trust qtax!
kE-

Postby d3R » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:46 am

d3R

Postby bug » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:41 pm

bug

Postby d3R » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:34 am

I'm still not sure about needing a basic load, your description of the issue sounds more like the system can't get past POST (which, i assume, is needed before the cpu bios update will be loaded). Maybe something is not compatible or connecting properly, doublechecked the ram?
d3R

Postby bug » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:31 pm

bug

Postby d3R » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:37 am

d3R

Postby bug » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:23 pm

it was bios related. i could get into bios with an older cpu and did an update. now the mainboard stays in standby even without any cpu, gpu and so on.
bug

Postby uenz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:45 pm

Bug du bist der Beste!
uenz

Postby bug » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:35 am

Was?
bug

Return to General discussion