Hz not constant anymore, ut99

Jump to: Board indexCommunityGeneral discussion

Hz not constant anymore, ut99

Postby LoD » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Hello everybody,

i have been playing with frameratelimit = 121 and ace highperftoggle for over a year now and the framerate had been constant on all servers at 121. For two weeks now,m I notice that it is not constant anymore but jittering around the 121 so that the average for several minutes is not 121 but 121.5 or so. I also notice that the game is not that fluid anymore, which really annoys me.

Does anyone have similar problems and could give hints what to change?

I have not tested this on onwed well servers, however. All these experiences are from publics

thanks,
LoD
LoD

Re: Hz not constant anymore, ut99

Postby Lineage » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:20 pm

use cachecleaner to clean up your install directory, move out saved games and built up screenshots to a seperate folder

could also be something you installed recently, maybe a driver update or something similar
Lineage

Postby LoD » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 am

wow, would never have thought of this. Moving out demos from the system folder seems to have helped!
thank you a lot lineage!

when yo are saying cache manager, is it the manager that sorts all the files in to the right system folders or is it sth different?
LoD

Postby LoD » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 am

Unfortunately, I need to revive this post. It turned out that it was not the demos or screenshots. The problem persists and I have tried three different GPU drivers. I notice that the frames are jittering around 121 by 0.1 or so and sometimes i get a massive drop to 108 or so for half a second and than back to near 121.

Any more ideas? It really is a pity, I felt so comfortable with my mouse settings and everything and now this!
Lineage, what exactly did you mean with cleaning out the cache? I have used the CacheManager to sort all the files in the Cache into the respective map, texture etc folders. anything more to do?
Btw, about 400 files could not be moved by the CacheManager and I still have these uxx files in the Cache folder. What could cause this? Identical file names?

thank you all a lot,
LoD
LoD

Postby uenz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:36 am

run ut in administrator mode
helped me with inconsistent framerate
uenz

Postby Lineage » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:46 pm

Yes Cachecleaner sorts all the various downloaded files into the right folder. Some stuff it can't seem to find a home for you have two choices 1) manually move the files 2) delete them entirely (it would just get re-downloaded into your cache the next time you need it.)

I run UT in admin mode as well, and also use the "-cpuspeed=xxxx" command in the target area to help with auto dodging. Some areas in certain maps like high mid on Byproduct and low mid in Acrony I still get framedrops using OpenGL, d3d9, d3d10, but not d3d8. I go from a solid 150 dropping to 80 and then back up. Enough to cause a hitch in smoothness to be annoying.

UT is one finicky old bitch. You gotta treat her right and be willing to try some oddball stuff to get it working on some systems. Yet on others, you pretty much install and set your controls and some basic preferences like detail, sound levels, mouse settings and you're golden.
Lineage

Postby LoD » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 pm

hi, thanks for all the advice. Running as admin did not really help. So I am now wondering what this -cpuspeed is about. How does it work and how do I know what number to put there. I am really confused as ut was running nicely with the settings I use now in the past. And now, it does not anymore. Maybe it is some win7 update?
LoD

Postby d3R » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:05 pm

d3R

Postby Hatchet » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:12 pm

I found playing on zp servers and then newnet servers ruining my fps limit, even though the ini was still set at 144 fps and hertz.

I always had to reinstall a n old ini if i wanted to play on a newnet server after playing on a zp server.

Strange but I never found it a line was changed in the ini or not,
Hatchet

Postby medor » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:30 am

make it the ini "read only"
medor

Postby LoD » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi,

thank for all the advice:

@hatchet: ttha could hold true for me as well. I have not made a through lontime test after having played on a zp server I had problems on a newnet server. Really weird. Will try to avoid zp servers.
@medor: thanks. After setting it it seemed to be better but I am not sure if this was really "the switch". I still have some probs but it seems to be less than before

really strange all this, I will keep you updated so we might find the real reason!?

regards,
LoD
LoD

Postby LoD » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if someone has any more ideas concerning this. i have not played for almost a month now because the problem is frustrating me so much. I have reinstalled ut an everthing. This might end my young ut99 career after investing 800 dollars in equipment... :(

Help!
thanks,
LoD
LoD

Postby Hermione » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:17 am

Happened to me many times before, i always wondered what caused the problem, I think it's the fact that some stuff in the ini changes and gets fucked up when you join other servers. Cough**()Cough**Thats why I always have a copy of my ini as a backup.
I figured this out because when the hz was getting wacky, i tried someone elses ini and it went back stable. Try to use someones ini, and configure it to your liking.

If you want I can send you my ini, I sent to many people and they said it was the best, its all tweaked up.
Hermione
banned

Postby xios » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:35 am

A lot of these suggestions are blind without knowing your full specs and directx log's. There are a lot of different possible causes to be honest.

Are you on a laptop? Do you have system power saving mode enabled? This is one thing known to commonly cause framerate drops because your comp will reduce the power and cause fluctuations in performance.
xios

Postby Lineage » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:42 am

Or they're suggestions based on what has worked for us or for other people when trying to get UT to run consistently across multiple PC's and operating systems. 9_9
Lineage

Postby KillEmAll » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:23 pm

He's talking about a 1/2 a hz variance.
KillEmAll

Postby LoD » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:17 am

Yeah, but the 1/2 hz variance is the average for a whole game. The hz drops to 100 or even lower sometime for a sec. And this is really annoying.
Some specs:
- In fact I am on a laptop connected via DP to to my benq 144 hz monitor
- the laptop is always on full power and speedstep is deactivated
- i am on nividia (gt540m) with newest driver and running opengl 3.7

here are my inis:
http://www.altmuehlnet.de/~hilger/LoD_U ... 150721.ini
http://www.altmuehlnet.de/~hilger/LoD_User_20150721.ini

thanks to everyone!
LoD

Postby LoD » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:11 pm

still have the problems. almost not playing anymore :(
here is a log file of a session today, maybe it helps some hero to find sth
http://www.altmuehlnet.de/~hilger/UnrealTournament.log

greetz
LoD

Postby d3R » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:45 pm

Did you also post on other ut99 related forums like unrealkillers.com ? Maybe someone posting there has your golden tip.
d3R

Return to General discussion