UT4 CTF FACTIONS.I - RECAP

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT4Leagues and Tournaments

UT4 CTF FACTIONS.I - RECAP

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:12 pm

Greetings ladies and gentleboys,

Welcome to the OwnedWell UT4 FACTIONS.I Recap! Our first UT4 Tournament is officially in the books and now it is time to take a look back at the event. The is up on the website and as we experiment with match statistics, boxscores for each of the individual matches will soon be available.

Going into the tournament, there was a lot of work to be done. I want to give some special nods to scott for being a design guru and Monk for shouldering the behind the scenes server load and updating maps during crunch time. Also a big thanks to TimEh for coming through in the clutch and getting me a highly requested plugin. m3ss/grins also deserve major props for putting in a lot of work setting up their streams in advance and Zaccubus/cursive did a wonderful job casting/covering the tournament alongside them during the quarter and semifinals.

The aim for this tournament was always around the 8 team mark. As the game and community grows, we can reevaluate the number of teams and how we want to divide players. A lot of players stepped up and showed initiative in forming teams and I would like to thank them for that. I would also like to give a special thanks to ArC and dooi who stepped up when it looked like team formation was stagnating and once again I'm going to give props to m3ss for suiting up with "Team 8" and trying to create an Unreal Tournament Disney story. The results of this story will be found down below as we recap the first round.

Round 1 saw four matches kicking off all at once. 8 teams had entered the tournament but that number was going to be cut down by 50% after a best of 3 series.

The first match covered on YT was a showdown between the International French Republic (phr) and BOHICA (team Rico). Both teams looked like strong contenders to walk away as champions however Team Baguette was able to muster a convincing win on Azcanize with a final score of 5-1. BOHICA had heavy hitters like bleh and de`pain who were able to impact the game with frags and saves however Team Baguette looked more cohesive with Paw taking the top spot on the scoreboard and Monk keeping his head above water. Zaccubus was pleased to see that each team had exactly one Brit.

Pistola saw Numb and bleh being subbed out for Slain and Ricochet. Team ph34r kept their lineup the same. The pace of Pistola was a lot different from Azcanize and BOHICA put up a great fight. The score was 2-2 with 4 minutes remaining but KingKilla landed backbreaking cap and told BOHICA that "joo r goin to loze" and apparently they believed him. The final score finished at 5-2 but the game was a lot closer than that. Big thanks to Rico for putting together a team and BOHICA for turning up and putting on a show.

Another first round matchup was We Are All Gamers In Basements vs THE SLEEPERS. First and foremost, I would like to congratulate myself and cookiemonster for inspiring the worst teamname and tag. It has been a long tradition of mine in 99 and I am happy to see it continue in the new game. WAAGIB was a team comprised of cookie/rookie/reflex/crux/osk and they had rev cheerleading them off of the bench. Apparently rev is also into keeping up traditions from 99. On the other hand, THE SLEEPERS was a team assembled in the last minute as they trotted out a roster of xios/ChoWY/ArC/rePete/BlueCloud. Ne0 was not in attendance which is a shame because I would have loved to hear some more feedback from him. Maybe next time.

Since I don't want to tag this post as NSFW, I won't go into as much detail on this game as the last one. WAAGIB outcapped their opponents 22-2 over two maps and Rookie boasted a ridiculous 90+ efficiency on GK as he toyed with the opposition. According to an anonymous source, Rookie is highly regarded as the best NA TDMer and he showed why he might be worthy of this title as he absolutely obliterated the middle of maps.

The next match that we will look at was a decisive win from Bob and his Basement Bros however Team 8 was still able to put up a formidable fight and took their loss with grace. Shoutouts to dooi for having a great attitude and to his team for keeping theirs heads up even during the dying seconds of the game. The match was streamed to the OwnedWell Twitch channel and was covered from m3ss's perspective.

As expected, Bob was fragging and lead his team in that department both maps. m3ss also held that title for Team 8 and I must applaud both teams for their consistency. The final score on both Azcanize and TitanPass was 4-0 for BB and while T8 was unable to swim, they were at least able to keep a nostril above water. Just one.

I compared m3ss jumping into the tournament to a Disney movie however if we were to keep the comparison going with Beauty and the Beast, the final petal fell and he is now doomed to his ghastly form forever. I would also like to point out that m3ss/kud/exixt mingled together at the OwnedWell MIXER and developed adorable chemistry in their quest to find true love.

The final matchup of the first round was between the Dallas Mavericks Fanclub and HELL TOUPEE. It was the only game to go to a tiebreaking map and before I even discuss the game, I must talk about the name HELL TOUPEE. Brilliant. If a name alone decided who would go on to be the victor, these guys had the tournament on lock. I would also like to point out that the man who assembled this team (STEEL) had his power go out for the second FACTIONS tournament in a row. When it rains, it pours but even when it doesn't rain.. this guy still loses power. Props to FALLACY who wanted to be a lazybum for stepping up and taking the reigns of the team.

Both teams trotted out some very strong lineups. DMF had blimpo/bbanks/nvz/incept0s/nanners/viperz turn up for the tournament. Unfortunately GS3K was not in attendance. Rumor has it that he stayed up too late trying to assert dominance over Snow on the Epic TeamSpeak. On the other hand, HELL TOUPEE was rocking a roster of Sonic/pb/FALLACY/Killing/Cuzkey/pwnage.

Things were not looking good for Mark Cuban's team after they fell into a quick hole on Azcanize but DMF was not going to go down without a fight. TitanPass was a dogfight and was decided by a one cap margin. DMF ended up winning 2-1 but it was an extremely close game and a very tight matchup. The final map was Grendelkeep and it was covered by m3ss on the Twitch channel.

GK opened up with a frantic pace as DMF almost got on the scoreboard in the first minute of the game but they were denied by Dikembe "FALLACY" Mutombo. Despite this early save, the flag squeaking out was a trend that was kept up throughout the game. DMF jumped out to a 4-0 lead and when things were looking particularly bleak for HT, they were able to answer with back to back caps within a one minute timespan. HT kept it close and kept it respectable by staying within striking range for the duration of the map but ultimately fell with a scoreline of 4-7. The fiery wigs burned up and left Steel bald.

*bonus points awarded to pwnage for not crashing into any poles.

After one round, we were down to four teams and two matchups. Basement Bros against DMF and French Men vs WAAGIB. There were some technical difficulties for DMF as viperz was unable to figure out how to use his microphone (HE WASN'T THE ONLY ONE.. KK STRUGGLED AS WELL). While things were looking dire for DMF's T5 darkhorse, an unnamed administrator was able to swoop in and come to the rescue. 19 out of 20 people in the semifinals were able to use their microphone.

The Basement Bros/DMF matchup was covered by grins/Zaccubus on our YT channel and it turned out to be a great matchup that went the distance. Azcanize was an amazingly close game that finished with a scoreline of 2-1 in favor of BB. t0ggle was great and opened the game up with a first minute cap. DMF responded but at the 7 minute mark, t0ggle being the beneficiary of a BB pickup train notched his second cap of the game. Both teams had missed opportunities but I will give special commendations to Snow/blimpo for staying alive and keeping flags in play.

Pistola was map two and it was also extremely close. Bob drew first blood by finishing off the first cap for BB and Blimpo was able to equalize it shortly after for DMF. The first half ended with a draw however DMF's T5 Belgian wonder was able to give their first lead of the game in the second half. Both teams had some sealing gaffes and last second flag saves were the decider as BB had two caps denied on their stand. The last real run of the game had some Crouching Bob Hidden Blimpo stuff going down in mid as DMF iced the victory and won 3-1.

Unlike the first two maps, TitanPass the decider was not nearly as close. Blimpo powered his team to a 3-0 advantage in the first half and there was no looking back. BBanks did a tremendous job fragging and providing support his team and incept0s also did a great job filling up the stat sheet. BB went into battle without sorn (which hurt their overall chances) but they were still able to put on a show. Word on the street is that one of sorn's sisters was using the computer for instagram.

The second semifinal matchup was between team ph34r and team cookie and it was covered by m3ss and cursive on the Twitch channel. The maps were Cynosure and Azcanize however this matchup did not prove to be as close as the first one. Cynosure saw WAAGIB take on the role of a boa constrictor as they crushed the French Republic's lungs and suffocated the life out of them. Crux came up huge with some really nice flag runs while reflex fragged his face off. Props need to be sent in ph34r's direction for for his last minute attempts to keep the flag in play and some clutch saves. Overall, IFR came out ahead in powerup control, flags grabbed and flag held time which is interesting because they never seemed in control of the game.

The second map was closer however WAAGIB was once again able to put together a shutout as they held down a 1-0 Azcanize lead. The first and only cap of the game happened at the 5min mark of the first half and neither team was able to get on the board again. ph34r was the top killer from IFR and he had to be happy with the performances he got from his lower tiered players in paw/Monk. On the flipside, reflex was once again a frag machine and lead his team in most departments. IFR almost outgrabbed WAAGIB at a 2:1 rate however they were unable to convert any of their 60 grabs into a cap. The strong fragging presence of WAAGIB (+36) was enough to knockout a tournament favorite.

The semifinals were unfriendly to the Kings. Winter came early for KngKyle and KingKilla.

The final remaining teams were DMF and WAAGIB. Both were looking strong going into the final matchup however WAAGIB was the only team not to taste defeat on their journey to the big dance. The first map was Azcanize and it was a map that DMF had lost earlier in the day to HELL TOUPEE and it was also the same map that WAAGIB defeated the French Republic on. The pace and intensity of Azcanize was very similar to the game in the semis where WAAGIB just suffocated and demoralized their opponents. The first cap of the game came at the 5min mark when Rookie picked up a loose flag mid during a hectic engagement that saw both sides having their players exploded. The second cap of the game saw some technical difficulties on the side of DMF and the third cap iced it for WAAGIB in the second half. At the end of the game, we saw nanners topping out for DMF as the top fragger (not bad a for a T4 pickup) and reflex continuing his trend of filling up the stat sheet for WAAGIB. I think it's safe to say that this guy has elevated himself to the rank of a T1 player. WAAGIB was also able to win again after getting heavily outgrabbed but showed us that quality is greater than quantity.

The second map was Pistola and it was much closer than Azca, despite having an unfavorable outcome for nvz squad. DMF had their backs against the wall but they started slow and paid the price for it. Crux opened the game up with a completely uncontested flag run as he put his team on the board and put some major pressure on DMF. The second cap form WAAGIB was extremely different from the first one as they managed to string together a pickup train and give themselves a two cap buffer. At this point, Blimpo decided enough was enough as he brought a flag back to his stand but Crux rose to the occasion and in true David vs Goliath fashion, returned the flag. This was a gamechanging moment and cemented Crux as the X-Factor of the finals. Undeterred by the lost flag, Blimpo brought another one home and finished the job off making it a 1-2 deficit. The second half saw several opportunities for DMF but Rookie's presence in the middle was too much to handle. This guy was a frag machine and smothered DMF plays before they could even evolve. WAAGIB iced the victory in the final minute and once again proved that they could win, despite being outgrabbed at a 2:1 ratio.

Congrats to the basement gamers for winning the first FACTIONS tournament and going undefeated with a 6-0 record. Cookie, ya did good kid. Reflex you might be a lousy #tamadmin but you can sure shoot the guns in UT4. Rookie nice fragging and mid-control. Crux you were clutch and proved that insta Gorilla's are able to understand language. osk I didn't know you, apparently a lot of other people didn't either but congratulations on never getting ranked T5 again.

I would also like to celebrate this victory as I was appointed an honorary member and inspiration for this team.

YT Vod:

Twitch Vods:

Expect individual matches to hit YT in the next 24 hours and if anyone remembers any memorable moments, feel free to hit me up and give me some timestamps so that we can put together a highlight video.

Once again to everyone who contributed, adminned, captained, casted, played and watched the event.

PACO
PACO

Re: UT4 CTF FACTIONS.I - RECAP

Postby Viperzz^ » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:53 pm

Viperzz^

Postby bleh- » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Awesome job on the recap PACO as always.
bleh-

Postby cursive » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:53 pm

Congrats to the winners and thanks to everyone who helped make the event possible. Turnout was amazing and we saw some terrific games. Looking forward to future ones as well!
cursive

Postby Blimpo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:28 pm

great writeup PACO, and gg's to all it was a lot of fun!
(GJ to all on team DMF even though I may have been harsh on some of u guys. <3)
Blimpo

Postby BUDDY » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:51 pm

A+ writeup.

Reflex is still a coward and a skinny virgin so whatever.
BUDDY

Postby m3ss » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:03 pm

Nice work PACO and shoutout to everyone who made this happen (admins, players, captains, etc.). Big props to cursive for coming in to cast. Had a blast! Let's do it again soon!
Follow me on social media through the links below.
m3ss

Postby reflex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:22 pm

reflex

Postby BUDDY » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:30 pm

BUDDY

Postby reflex » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:31 pm

reflex

Postby Paw » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:38 pm

Tournament was a blast, but short lived :lol: GGs to all the teams that participated...

wish my sliding combo denial on reflex was recorded :(
Paw

Postby kevinsan1ty » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:36 am

Hell Toupee is the greatest name in the history of names and I am sad they didn't win.
aka biz<NeO>/bizmonkey

kevinsan1ty

Postby detox » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:14 am

Excellent recap PACO! Your articulate vocab and clever wordplay painted a lush landscape in my mind, making me feel like I was actually playing in each match.

From an admin standpoint, this tournament was run flawlessly from the format to the execution. Any shortcomings in this tournament resulted from uncontrollable variables created by the players.
detox

Postby KillEmAll » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:14 pm

Excellent recap indeed!
please gargle profusely detox. :shock:
KillEmAll

Return to Leagues and Tournaments