OwnedWell Presents iCTF FACTIONS (Tournament)

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

OwnedWell Presents iCTF FACTIONS (Tournament)

Postby PACO » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:36 pm

Howdy yall, I am pleased to announce an experimental iCTF tournament. A lot of the basic details are already sorted out however there are several topics that will need to be addressed and discussed.

PLAY WITH YOUR FRIENDS! FORM YOUR OWN TEAMS! (SOME RESTRICTIONS MAY APPLY)

When? May 24th, 2015 starting at 3pm EST. One day event.
Format? Single elimination bracket with preferably 16 teams. One pre-determined map playerd per round.
Team Formation? Factions.
Maplist? ALL NEW MAPS.. Considering: New Gauntlet, NIX, Adonis, Elsinore, New CampLinfort and others..

FACTIONS? I would like to see us have players sign up individually on the website and from there, form teams. The problems are as follows: How do we nicely split players up into tiers and how do we properly balance the teams? Players like rain/unrealshots/Serenity will all be in the highest tier.

SCALABILITY? The goal is 16 teams and at least 8 players. If we fall short of the mark, we can run the tournament with 8 teams and if there is overwhelming interest, we should be able to expand it to 32 teams (I don't see this as a likely situation but it is a possibility). Rosters can exceed 5 but starting lineups can never exceed whatever final number we decide on.

MAPS? I put a rough list of maps that I am considering. Some of them you will have never heard of.. If you would like a preview, check them out here: http://www.sendspace.com/filegroup/nbaC ... O4%2FJyHkx

EXAMPLE RANKINGS AND POINT CAP:

I just went through the past iCTF signup list and assigned point levels for the different tiers. In this scenario, there are 7 tiers with two filling

Assuming the cap is set at 40 points, you could see all sorts of combinations.. Example teams:

Fisk (12), KyuKen (10), zein (6), danon3^ (6), sturm (6) = 40 points
PACO (10), HuMPtY (10), Palak (6), kud(6), kE (6) = 38 points
rain (16), n0b (10), kowa (6), Feisar (6), CK (2) = 40 points
uenz (12), flowX (10), noobX (10), dEv (6), ttn (2) = 40 points

Should there be an 8 point range? What do people think about the initial rough rankings and layout? What can be done to improve on it? Does a certain ranking have a major advantage? Should the number of level two players extend up another 10-15 players to offer more capable lower players to complement higher level rosters? Lots of questions, lots of answers needed.

FUTURE IMPLICATIONS? This will be a test run and I am hoping that we will learn a lot from it. If it is successful and well received, I would like to run a 24-30 team iCTF league immediately after the Sniper season ends.

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE? Discussions on the aforementioned topics.

All feedback, questions and suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,

PACO
PACO

Re: OwnedWell Presents iCTF FACTIONS (Tournament)

Postby rain » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Looking very forward to this!
rain

Postby kevinsan1ty » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:43 pm

Great idea. I've had a similar thought in my head, that you can only have a max salary "on the field" at one time. Didn't think folks would be interested in it.

It'd be great to come up with a solution so everyone who joins a team gets to play a map or two.
aka biz<NeO>/bizmonkey

kevinsan1ty

Postby csnafk » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:54 am

10/10 TACO

Should there be an 8 point range? Absolutely, and it doesn't have to be huge like the 6's and 4's. As long as all the players have proper values assigned to them things should balance fine. Honestly you probably don't have to have only even numbers either, could use odd numbers too if the gap between players seems short enough. Like viperzz for instance, maybe he's not a 16 but grouping him with the 14's may not feel precise, so tag a 15.

What do people think about the initial rough rankings and layout? / What can be done to improve on it? Diggin it; obvious tweaks will come with more feedback but the base blueprints look tasty.

Does a certain ranking have a major advantage? The 6s imo. This is why I drop my .02c to use more numbers because the range on that number is encompasses a shit ton of people and many of them can hold their own against the 10's (me, toy, scott, kud, pulip, LP, kowa, fail, supreme etc. I understand this list is not current but if a similar list size shows up, unless a ton of scrubs join the tier 6 overpower will be unavoidable.)

Should the number of level two players extend up another 10-15 players to offer more capable lower players to complement higher level rosters? I would say just group people as accurately as possible to start off with and go from there. It would be easier to answer a couple of these questions if the list was current to see who would be where.
csnafk

Postby Pun` » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:15 am

Just a quick response as i'm busy as hell! I'll consider the details later and chip in if i have something to add!
Excellent idea! Thanks Paco and team! Just what the community needs! Good luck with the running of it! :)
EDITED BY ADMINISTRATION.. NO NUDITY EVEN IF IT'S DRAWN. PLEASE AND THANKS.
Pun`

Postby whitechocakagod » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:19 am

I would greatly like this. Team [choc] will most certainly be involved. I can't help but notice you went with white choc idea from several seasons ago with points instead of $. Heh heh heh...

The rankings and point cap look questionable now, but I'm sure it can be worked out in greater detail once everything is certain. I will say that the separation of many 10 players to 16 players seems very large, considering marginal skill jumps in some cases. And then some 10 players are v much weaker. The divides in this system should be fairly easy to work out based on actual skill levels instead if having x amount of a number. Though I don't know the math of how teams will work out to say this for certain.

Also, pls pm white choc on irc to be considered for team choc
whitechocakagod

Postby whitechocakagod » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:23 am

Also given the nature of this tournament, I'm gonna need acro. Tia.
whitechocakagod

Postby Viperzz^ » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:43 am

Viperzz^

Postby rain » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 am

I feel like there should be at least a couple more 16s or at least some 15s in that list. I would also include 8s for sure.
rain

Postby finalzje » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:38 pm

Looking forward to this! sounds great!
p.s i should be ranked 10 for sure.
finalzje

Postby Hermione » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:20 pm

I approve of this tournaments..

Hermione
banned

Postby m3ss » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:26 pm

I rrrrrreally like this idea and I think it's something that will reinvigorate a lot of people's interest in iCTF. The ability to choose your own team is just so appealing, especially in a community that's been around as long as this one. Sure, we all PUG together and get along for the most part, but everyone has their BFF's and now you can play on their team if you want! I'm looking forward to casting the games!
Follow me on social media through the links below.
m3ss

Postby MarKy » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:42 pm

I would like to participate in this.
MarKy

Postby blackout\\ » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 pm

blackout 4 sale
blackout\\

Postby rain » Fri May 01, 2015 4:38 pm

rain

Postby csnafk » Fri May 01, 2015 4:59 pm

csnafk

Postby blackout\\ » Fri May 01, 2015 5:03 pm

blackout\\

Postby rasta-man » Mon May 04, 2015 1:28 am

i love the idea
:) but my name is not in the list as i never played ictf?
rasta-man

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon May 04, 2015 7:18 am

Rasta it's just an example list from last ictf. Everyone is free to sign up when we open signups and then we'll rank everyone properly!

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby bug » Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm

Too bad it's set on Pentecost.
bug

Postby XhackZ » Tue May 05, 2015 10:14 pm

Seems interesting, already signed up.
[DRc]DominicanRepublic clan
XhackZ

Postby nIcc » Sun May 10, 2015 7:46 pm

mb do 3v3 or 4v4 for more teams happen?
nIcc

Return to Leagues & Tournaments