OwnedWell Development Game Playoffs Suggestion

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

OwnedWell Development Game Playoffs Suggestion

Postby krm` » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:25 pm

Greetings.

Not sure if this was attempted before or if there is interest. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

While I certainly understand more excitement comes from the "UT professionals" games where players are rated in the higher tiers, why not reward the lower tiered players with more meaningful games. At the very least, make the development games worth more than what they are currently rated.

I say this only because I've heard on numerous occasions that players claim:

1) "Oh, it's just a development game. I don't care if we win or lose."
2) "It's just a development game, who cares."
3) "I only play regular games."
4) Etc.

The games, I am sure, will have its entertainment value as you'll more than likely witness failed boosts and untimely dodges to the other side of the spectrum of clutchest of kills/seals/covers. It's only fair to provide this as an option to the lower skilled players, as they too take time out of their daily lives to keep this game alive. Some probably pug more often than the heavy-hitters that show up only come tournament time...

Additionally, if a player argues the point that:

1) "Because I don't want to play 10 maps (come finals time)."

To be fair, you draft a team that usually fields at least 5 quality starters. Theoretically, those are 5 options where a team can select who to play in the development game and mix and match the styles to maximize the potential.

When it's all said and done though, this suggestion may have come 5 years too late. Although, better late than never.

:idea:
krm`

Re: OwnedWell Development Game Playoffs Suggestion

Postby NakedMan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

As a dev player I can confirm , dev playoffs would be epic.
NakedMan

Postby CrashedMC » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 pm

Would definitely be interesting to see dev matches worth more. It does seem like people care less and less about dev matches, and focus on their starting 5 as it is. Try something different, even if for 1 season. Could be worth a shot.. or a discussion at the very least :!:
CrashedMC

Postby PACO » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:30 pm

Nice thread krm. There are definitely pros and cons to the current setup. Devs are a relatively new concept and while they have been successful, it is a bit of a disappointment when the playoffs hit.

In my opinion, the solution is to increase the number of teams in a league and have everyone be a starter. There is no reason why someone like NakedMan or CrashedMC couldn't start in a league with more teams. One of the problems has always been getting enough captains to step up to the plate. The current people stepping up have been putting 1.5 teams under their wing. If more people stepped up, more people would play.
PACO

Postby Sauron » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:16 pm

With more teams, team sizes must be lower or you will have 5 guys sitting on the bench all season. For a 5 starter team, the team size should be 7. 2 reserves is plenty with FAs.
Sauron

Postby rev » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:18 pm

Another point to add to more teams is that it could potentially help to solve the current broken ictf meta since the primary problem is people shooting 50 acc. Throw a couple 20-30 accer's in there and it becomes much less easy to lame.
rev

Postby Sauron » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:28 pm

Sauron

Postby atr0city » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:57 pm

atr0city

Postby kud » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:05 pm

falling back on a team with comparable acc/frag power will be just as effective whether the average acc is 30 or 40
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby krm` » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:16 pm

krm`

Postby RickJames » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:44 am

RickJames

Postby PACO » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:04 am

PACO

Postby rev » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:08 am

rev

Postby rev » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:42 am

rev

Postby HULKSMASH » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:00 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned we actually tried Dev playoff games last year in sDOM 2. We tried to make them worth enough for people to care, whilst not affecting regular playoffs too much.
Reg players complained it was 'too much UT in one day' as reg semi finals / finals are best of five. A lot of Dev players didn't even bother showing (which I REALLY don't understand)... Sadly a lot of the matches were forfeited.

So to make it work I think it would either have to be with Devs part of reg team, or as Dev only teams playing other Devs - meaning even the 100$ players get to play. For this to happen I believe it should be clearer that Dev players are required to show and play, regardless of level... As now you have randoms or lower levels sign up and get drafted but don't really show once throughout the season. I don't think I've seen any $100-200 player even pug once except killemall, clankiller and Darren.

Having been an $100 myself a year and a half ago I WANTED to play. I wanted to learn. I wanted to get better. I pugged every single day, made an effort to learn every single boost and map. And more than anything, I wanted Dev matches. So I was super excited for them, only to be super disappointed that my team went pretty much straight to finals cause of all the forfeits. Was not very fun or challenging.

It's great to see some other Devs taking interest in playoffs and I hope perhaps in future we can achieve them.

Esp for captains like naked man and myself who have to watch their team make playoffs from the sidelines...

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby MP/5 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 am

MP/5

Postby krm` » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 am

Last edited by krm` on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
krm`

Postby krm` » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 am

krm`

Postby kud » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:09 am

Mp5 manigga krm has been reasonably active and is a good sport in pugs
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby cafe » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:55 am

I played with krm a few times, and he did pretty well on peak high. I think he raises some good points about dev matches. A lot of the players in those matches will probably not be starters for any team and will otherwise not get a chance to be in a playoffs situation. Which sucks, because playoffs are a fun and exciting thing to be a part of. Leagues of the past had multiple tiers of competition. Cal-o, cal-m, cal-i etc. Maybe we should have a dev league and a reg league?
cafe

Postby RickJames » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:33 am

As a former dev player, I can say that I never wanted to play in a "little league" of UT. I wanted to play in matches that really mattered, and dev matches in the current format, at least in this sdom league, are certainly pretty important to making playoffs. I wanted to play with very strong competition. A dev match in the current format is still way above a pug, many captains do put serious thought and effort into them, and 1 or 2 starters are there to guide the dev guys and anchor the team. When I was learning 1v1, the best practice I got was getting clobbered 50-0 by the very top guys over and over and over. The experience I got from playing vs the very best in a league setting is maybe the biggest reward I've gotten out of league play.

Anyways, I like PACO's suggestion (assuming of course we could field enough teams) the most.
RickJames

Postby Skoll » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:24 pm

As a 0.50$ tier player i would enjoy something of a dev final in sactf, might get more ppl interested and so more teams to spread the 1k-1.5k tier players around and the mix might get some surprising good dev matches. Why not give another try?
Agreed with the leadership comments, it's always a stressful and mostly unappreciated position to hold. But... i can't help but to ask myself if the finger pointing came from the devs or the more experienced and competitive players...? Last option probably.. no?
Although i'm low skill even to pug with many, if not all, in this community, and last try i did i was insignificant by other players opinion ^_^ , i still try. So.. bare with me and give it a try in next league of wtv mod, as was said before, improving comes with playing with the best, i believe in that too and i never played anything i haven't tried just like that ;p
Skoll

Postby kud » Sat May 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Maybe have dev captains who draw from the players drafted by teams and those teams are awarded points if their players participate in a dev game and more if they won. I really don't think the number of points awarded to dev games matters as much as playing fun rewarding competitive games with similarly skilled players.
This way dev games can still happen with smaller teams, and the top pick on each team isn't forced to play 4 hours of ut
ImageImageImage
kud

Return to Leagues & Tournaments