[sDOM.I] Team Preview by PACO

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

[sDOM.I] Team Preview by PACO

Postby PACO » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:40 pm

The wait is over, the draft is done and the teams have been selected. I decided I'd take a quick post-draft glance and get some first week analysis going.

Team Monk - $6357

The Starters: Monk, RAVONIX, snky, ulo
The Bench: cafe, rasta-man, Se7eN, SK8

Monk finished the draft with the most money to play with ($143) and one of the most complete rosters. I won't be surprised if he doesn't use a single trade all season (barring unexplained absences or early bed times.. looking at snky and not the Euros).

The team has championship pedigree written all over it. RAVONIX and snky teamed up together under ulo and won the inaugural GlobalUnreal sDOM season. If Monk can bring Pete level contributions, this team could easily be hoisting the championship at the end of the season. The official kryptonite will be Monk's shoddy internet connection however the community will be watching with anticipation to see if Monk can elevate his game and his team above a second place finish.

The development team is also looking sharp with cafe as the first man off of the bench. No stranger to shooting high 40acc and with sDOM experience under his belt, he might even make a case to be a starter by the end of the season (if he can ever stop pouring malt liquor for his fallen homie). rasta-man has also showed a knack to dominate dev games in past seasons.. the tooth fairy has promised that he will be visiting all of his opponents this season and paying them in rubles. Se7 will be a great utility player to have handy and SK8 might get drafted into some South American military.

Team Miracle - $6359

The Starters: bleh-, n0b, lockpick, Miracle
The Bench: whitechocakagod, krm`, iiSpyz, 51ninja

Clocking in at $2 less frugal than the Monkster, Miracle assembled a team with one of the highest ceilings in the entire league. The only problem is that this ceiling is a highrise being manufactured by a Nigerian Prince that is requesting envelopes of cash and payments through Western Union to multiple addresses in different countries.

bleh was gifted to Miracle and no timeouts were needed to quickly snag the highest rated player in the tournament. The second top tier player selected was n0b. This was also a great pick but due to pug activity, Miracle invested $2857 into players who haven't exactly been burning up the pug scene in #iPug. I was okay with the picks just because of how talented his top two would be but I was sure that he would go with some safer picks to shore up his roster. Miracle who is no stranger to risk decided to swing for the fences by picking up an even more inactive player in lockpick. An anonymous source later confided that Miracle was banking on lockpick being snowed in and active during the Winter season. Miracle will make a solid fourth to round out his roster but he's going to be working overtime organizing and motivating his players.

The bench is solid with whitechoc being the first man off of the bench. The only problem is that we removed Cinder and he was a one trick pony who is slowly adapting to becoming just a pony. It has been years since the magnets on his fridge have seen use for UT99 screenshots but Winter 2015 could be a chance to resurrect a once famed name that struck terror in public servers from Cali to Jakarta. krm will be solid and iiSpyz should be available but the dev fourth might be a weak link against some of the stronger teams. ninja will be a question mark with his partial availability but if he gets active, he could pleasantly surprise a team that took a lot of gambles.

Team Junkyardboy - $6387

The Starters: JYB, Cromaniac, PACO, risus
The Bench: rev, D4RR3N, clankiller, otb

The JYBster has been one of the best hitscan players for the past 5 years. With championships, accolades and impressive statistical benchmarks under his belt.. JYB will look to conquer an area that he has struggled with in the past: sDOM. The aim and brain are both there but he will need to put it all together and become the full package for his team to have a chance at contending this season. Cromaniac was a safe first pick and he should be able to win most solo points and go up opposing teams best players. Picking PACO as a 3rd man was slightly risky (especially with some paltry stats archived in recent months) but picking PACO is never a bad thing. Teams that play with PACO are infused with charisma and euphoria. PACO is also a competitor and will do his best not to suck this season. The final starter is a relatively unknown sDOM player in risus. The ceiling will be high but the team will need him to practice and get some sort of rhythm otherwise he will be $1000+ of dead weight.

JYB will need to consider all of his options and decide who will be the designated amp player on each map. The team has strong 1v1 players but they are missing a viperz, ramdrop, pete or bleh who can blow a game wide open with an amp.

The bench will have strong leadership with rev playing the role of a 5th man who can jump in for risus if he is a bust. D4RR3N (UT prodigy extraordinaire), clankiller and otb will also be solid players available for JYB. Maps selected will likely affect which player gets the call, along with pug performances during the week.

Team NakedMan - $6439

The Starters: Pete, bug, Sauron, KNOCKOUTDAD
The Bench: Sponge, NakedMan, Sylia, Chamberly

Being naked in the middle of winter is always a bit of risky endeavor but the NakedMan will try to his best to clothe himself in victory. Leading into the draft, I was not sure who he was eyeing with his first pick but taking Pete is no surprise. He is rock solid, has an sDOM championship under his belt and is lockdown on several points. bug was also a terrific addition to the squad since he can handle a 1v1 against any player in the league and has improved his efficiency with returning to and tagging dom points. The third man on this team is Angus who was crying about being overrated but still selected relatively early compared to other players in his range. The final starter will be KNOCKOUTDAD who I see as an x-factor for the team.. If he is active and on point, they will have an extremely well rounded team.

The starting four is extremely powerful but sDOM is a game where composure means everything. This team has some fire crackers and a few plugs with no sockets. Will they keep it together? Maybe. How will they handle adversity? We shall see.

The bench for this team is very solid as long as Sponge makes all of his matches. Sponge is one of the most improved players in the community over the past few years. He is a starter in iCTF seasons and could easily play as a starter in sDOM if he dedicates enough time. On the note of NakedMan...

Team RickJames - $6433

The Starters: Viperz, Morpheus, FALLACY, RickJames
The Bench: dev, crux, HakunaMatata, bittin

RickJames is starting a new draft tradition and it is one that is leaving the community in dismay.. first round timeouts? This should never happen however Da Boi Rick has been blazing new paths. As the extra 2 minutes were granted, the community was holding its collective breath and wondering if the blehminem reunion was around the corner..

Once spurned and thrice burned, Rick opted to pass on his childhood hero and made one of the best selections of the night by picking Viperz. If I was captaining and had any pick in the draft, Viperz would have been near the top of my draft board due to his ability to dominate difficult points and manage amp runs. The team has a Batman and will need Morpheus to emulate the Scottie Pippen role. Depending on how many pugs Morph gets under his belt, he might be an x-factor but if he comes into matches relying solely on his fragging.. Rick and co will likely be disappointed. The third highest rated player was FALLACY who was autopicked by the draft bot. We suspect this was theatrics by Rick however the impact of FALLACY will be one of the biggest question marks of the season.. Before his VACation, FALLACY was outplayed by players like m3ss (who doesn't even have jump bound), so he will need to bust his tail off to earn his salary. The final starter on this team is Rick who started at the bottom now his whole team is here. From carving pumpkins to contending in sDOM.

The bench for this team will be strong assuming both crux and dev show. Both are perfect players for development matches and could potentially fill in as starters however if one is missing, Rick will likely need to make a trade. bittin has been fairly inactive and HakunaMatata still has to prove that he is good for more than singing songs around a campfire.

Team csn - $6444

The Starters: rain, paleface, csn, Xenoscythe
The Bench: exixt, biz, Murder, z4TaN

chosen clocks in with a roster only $1 more expensive than Rick but with a very different composition. Paleface as a first round selection would not be surprising in almost any gametype but in sDOM, it seemed like chosen was fishing for a sleeper pick and deviating from the norm. The selection made a lot more sense as csn nabbed rain and started a shockWave reunion. This trio was extremely well balanced and successful during the iCTF season and they will look to dominate this upcoming shock DOM season. Xeno rounds out the roster as a solid fourth and he should bring some decent sDOM IQ to the table.

This team will live and die with rain and if he can impose his will on the game like in iCTF.. watch out. The Achilles heel for this team will be Saturday night drinking and chosen.

Exixt and biz should form a formidable dev duo. Exixt has shown that he can play with the big dogs on certain points (like Seraphim mid) and it will be a luxury to have him available for starter matches depending on the matchups. Shout outs to biz for being a beautiful human being. I expect Murder will send bottles of champagne to everyone's house if the team wins.. best $100 pickup.. ever.

Team ScReaM - $6472

The Starters: ramdrop, Sens, ScReaM, Supreme
The Bench: flowX, JD, Pun, Zac

The Bromance is real between ScReaM and ramdrop and why not? These two have teamed up for successful seasons in the past and with ramdrop playing out of his mind.. it was a no-brainer pick. ramdrop can demoralize his opposition with insanely high acc and devastating amp runs however he will need someone to soothe his nerves when the emo bugs come and bite. ramdrop is bi-polar on the battlefield and there is no middle ground. With a short season, ScReaM will be praying that he caught him on a high. ScReaM went full God Save the Queen when he elected to pick Sens however this was once again a very solid selection. Sens joined club Angus this preseason by hammering home the message that he was overrated but with his shot on point and his sDOM familiarity, he should be a top level player this season. ScReaM should join the starters however his fourth man will be up for debate. Supreme is priced higher than flowX however price alone will not necessarily dictate who gets the nod. I imagine several different rosters for several different maps.

Despite the starters not being fixed, flowX will be able to participate in dev games and this will be huge for ScReaM having such a talented 5th man. JD is also extremely solid, Pun will probably be pugging iCTF however the lowest rated player might earn some playing time if he continues to put in work in #iPug. Zac is a community up-and-comer and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a few maps under his belt this season.

Team HULKSMASH - $6492

The Starters: Rummy, HuMPtY, blackout, kud
The Bench: HULKSMASH, windigo, nightwing, KillEmAll

This was the first time that HULKSMASH has ever captained and I must commend her on doing such a great job. Rummy is was a great first pick however she will need to motivate him not to dork it up in RPGs and to get his hitscan on. HuMPtY was another great pick up, especially for his price. Both Rummy and HuMPtY should have a lot of specialty spots covered on most maps and this will really help take off pressure from players like blackout and kud (who are reuniting). blackout slipped in the draft but he has come a long way from his early Capture The Godlike days. kud was also a great pick in the second last round however his overall impact will likely depend on whether he can find enough time to shake off the rust. With only a 3 week regular season, he's going to need to get pugging..

Team Achilles --> Final Fantasy (Rum) and --> CS:GO (HuMPtY.. who I won't be able to carry until the end of sDOM)

HULKSMASH will be leading the charge in the dev matches. With years of experience practicing the wiggle, she will hypnotize her opponents and rack up the points. Windigo will be her dev partner-in-crime and due to his extensive knowledge and experience, he should be a solid addition to the team. The end of the bench has some of my favorite guys from the community. I had the pleasure of selecting nightwing (pato) to a few of my teams and I always root for whatever team has KillEmAll. If you aren't on #TeamKillEmAll, then I don't want to see you in this community.

I chose not to actually rank any of the teams and instead listed the teams in the order of lowest-post-draft-salary to the highest. I think that a lot of teams have the potential to surprise and some of the eye candy favorites could easily bust. All in all, I will be wishing every team good luck and I hope you all have fun.. as long as it isn't at my team's expense.

PACO
PACO

Re: sDOM.I Team Preview by PACO

Postby RickJames » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:12 am

RickJames

Postby Morpheus » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:20 am

Don't get the reference, but i'd say there is more in the sand of my washed out beach than all those rotten teeth removed by rastaman :lol:

Nice read nevertheless
Morpheus

Postby Viperzz^ » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:50 am

Nice one PACO
Viperzz^

Postby csnafk » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:10 am

csnafk

Postby rain » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:16 am

rain

Postby kud » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:06 am

ImageImageImage
kud

Postby kevinsan1ty » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:14 am

aka biz<NeO>/bizmonkey

kevinsan1ty

Postby KillEmAll » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:06 am

Good read PACO
KillEmAll

Postby Sens » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:18 pm

Nice one mr paco. I find it very difficult to gauge the strengths of the teams in order of whos more dangerous etc. Unfortunately we only get 3 group matches and there will be plenty of mixed results, I am thinking its a lottery for the playoffs.
Sens

Postby Lineage » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:26 pm

Pretty much any team looks like it could potentially beat any other. I think parity will be the story of this season, provided everyone's top rosters are available.
Lineage

Postby D4RR3N » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:46 pm

Will try to make it to devs guys, but for various boring reaons it'd be hard. gl hf
D4RR3N

Postby flowX » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Me dev ol

Good read
flowX

Postby Nick » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:11 pm

yah I would put FlowX in the starting line-up, but oh well.. I enjoyed the read, nice preview :)!
Nick

Postby MP/5 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:20 pm

good read! liked the blehminem part. too bad no personal views on rankings which is always very interesting imo.
MP/5

Postby whitechocakagod » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:09 pm

That's the worst writeup I've ever read in my life. Also, I'm good on every sdom map. I wasn't even that good on cinder, it was just really fun to play.
whitechocakagod

Postby Cromaniac » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:34 pm

Cromaniac

Postby blade » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Interesting read.

Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Return to Leagues & Tournaments