[iCTF.I] Maplist!

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Leagues & Tournaments

Re: [iCTF.I] Maplist!

Postby ramdrop » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:54 am

Scandi would never see a match, whats the point in wasting an additional map spot with that.
ramdrop

Postby Sauron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:33 pm

Why not use map rounds + elimination? 5 maps to choose from each round, 15 maps total. Categories could be similar maps (fragfest one round, larger maps another round, midsize another, idk)
Sauron

Postby dev » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:42 pm

dev

Postby Spriggan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Add: Sprinta / Mesmerize / Acrony / Bleak
Spriggan

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:54 pm

whitechocakagod

Postby XhackZ » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:05 pm

No point on voting/suggest maps, at the end you guys will just add the maps you want.
[DRc]DominicanRepublic clan
XhackZ

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:23 pm

PACO

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:26 pm

It's personal opinion as to what you find "boring" and what others find "boring." I have a blast everytime I play ec2. I think complex, command, diamondsword, pryxon, and rune are "boring." And especially diamondsword is one of those "crutch" maps that put off large portions of the playerbase ;).
whitechocakagod

Postby Banko » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Wtf is Nuance ? I guess I really haven't been pugging.

Regardless Complex is one of the worst maps ever designed.
It doesn't have a balance or flow. Mid is easy to DM, and it's very easy for fall back. It's usually a clusterfuck of a map.

Pryxon is also a terrible hell hole full of mid spawn dm-ing and most of the time everyone relies on players being spawned on the opposite side of the map to cap. It is just so bad.

Remove Complex and Pryxon and add Scandi back in.

To the fools that say Scandi won't get played you are VERY wrong. Every season where Scandi was an option it was always played. Probably more times than DiamondSword even. (If you think it would never get played what's the problem you scared ? )

The real problem here is most of the time Scandi requires real teamwork which is what makes it exciting. It is usually very hard to be the hero and solo cap. I thought CTF was supposed to build teamwork ? Instead UT has taken a course to where one person starts thinking about how he alone can turn the tide. This approach is very dumb. Do you know how great it feels to properly execute a proper offensive run on Scandi where all 3 of you enter the base at once, grab the flag, two manage to survive then get down to the bottom and boost your way over to the other side ? That type of teamwork is what makes CTF great and it is slowly dying because most people here give too many shits about Frags Per Hour and Accuracy above anything else.

The maps that need to be made aren't ones where you throw ideas like lets make it easier to grab the flag, or lets make it easier to defend. The great CTF maps are ones that encourage teamwork because in the end the team that should win the championship should have the best teamwork, and not the best frag power.

Sadly no one here wants to think anymore and just run around shooting things. Fuck all of you that are slowly turning this into iTDM with Flags rather than iCTF.
Banko

Postby Monk » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:47 pm

So everybody really likes certain maps and dislikes others? And some of them get aggressive when they don't get the maps they want? Who knew.
Monk

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:49 pm

I boosted a guy on the roof of Scandi in an MLIG match. I understand how to coordinate a play. The reality is, most drafted teams will not be coordinating plays and even if they did, you won't manufacture much on a map like Scandi in the year 2014.

I played Scandi back in the day and I'd consider myself decent at running offense on the map. It was fun, it was great and I had some of my best memories on the map. Despite my fond memories, I truly believe it should be shelved in a corner and left to collect dust. IIRC, the season where Banko captained the KKK, he played 3-4 D Scandi. It was boring to watch and had an abysmal pace. If you play two D in base and two D in mid, it completely breaks the map. Even offense backshooting constantly in the middle breaks the pace. You can lock a team out and make grabs infrequent. You could do this 3 years ago and with the BenQ craze and everyone being twice as good, it's even easier to do this.

The map was also used as a crutch vs European teams. These guys are staying up until 12-1-2am and playing on North American servers and for what? The pleasure to play Scandi 5x in a season? That was wrong and the fact that people won't acknowledge it and even consider the sacrifices that a lot of players make to play in the league/community is very disappointing. It's boring for the players, the casters and the viewers.

Scandi will not be added to the list.
PACO

Postby rain » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:52 pm

rain

Postby kud » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 pm

dreary and mesmerize
Sometimes I think people forget how tournament ctf is played. I like running and defending scandi in pugs, but even one person dedicated to controlling mid can shut a team down without taking much away from their offensive potential (probably enhancing it due to protecting their attackers from harassment in mid). I can't see it getting picked with the map elimination format, because it's a niche map

ps: why has no one ever put side entrances into Dreary? something from near the high elevators into the side of the flag room, maybe with visibility from the normal entrance corridor somehow. that single entrance is just easy to abuse (from experience playing w/ rain kekeke). open up the flag room and it's a better map imo
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby Banko » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:07 pm

Banko

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:19 pm

whitechocakagod

Postby Sonic|^ » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Sonic|^

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm

whitechoc, let me start off by saying we do want your input. That's why we asked.

However upon reading the posts, I feel that some people are simply listing their favourite maps, not necessarily maps that would ''work'' in the league. This is why I stressed the point about thinking about it from a league perspective, not just a personal perspective.

In addition, only a handful of people name new maps, which I think is because probably a lot of people haven't actually tried them. This is why I ask people to try them out - those that have had generally had really positive responses. I haven't yet been able to try them myself in pugs yet, but from walking round in them, I think there's there's definitely potential.

So do I think the map list is 100% perfect? No. Because there is no such thing as a 100% perfect map list. People have different tastes in maps. You will never be able to please everybody. I don't really like playing Diamond Sword. But there's loads of others that think it has a lot to offer. The example you named in your original post, EC2 is a fun map. I like it. But I also accept that it's not good for league play, given it's history of unbelievably long overtimes (I remember a match that lasted 3+ hours!). So while you might disagree with some of the choices on there or dislike attacking at the moment, perhaps you can understand that the map list we came up with is a combination that we think has something to offer for the majority, is a mix of new and old, are all maps we feel promote attacking (not turtling), that worked well in previous leagues and are also fun to spectate. But we're also listening to what the community thinks adds a new dimension to the league. Which is exactly what this thread is for.

I'm not exactly sure why you feel I'm attacking the intelligence of the community by imploring people to think outside the box and to analyse a map from a different point of view, in fact I probably wouldn't have asked at all or let you pick from a multiple choice list if I thought that.

And regarding your jabs... as someone who knows me quite well, you're well aware I am by no means an elitist, arrogant admin who thinks she's always right. Being catty with me isn't going to give you the maps you like back.

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby Steel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Duku was boring as all hell, and was a 2 hour map in the finals. All I want is consistancy.
Steel

Postby rain » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:45 pm

rain

Postby Sauron » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:53 pm

Sauron

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:54 pm

whitechocakagod

Postby HUMPTY » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Why is duku still there?
I'll tell you why its favourite map..surely duku is one of the crutch OT safe pick maps ??
HUMPTY

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:05 pm

whitechocakagod

Postby kud » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:10 pm

how is this decision being made? I remember seeing a graph with the vote tallies. most votes win?
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:13 pm

We are taking a page out of the Hong Kong political book. We will look at suggestions and then offer a poll with selected candidates from mainland OwnedWell. The purpose of this thread is to gauge where people are at. Some interesting feedback so far and I'm glad we are getting it early.
PACO

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:15 pm

I had a graph but a lot of people were suggesting more than 2 options

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:17 pm

I had a graph, but scandi was winning*
whitechocakagod

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:20 pm

PACO

Postby faithless » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:41 pm

faithless

Postby Steel » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:47 pm

http://www.globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=35443

One of the most boring maps I've ever played, just saying.
Steel

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues & Tournaments