Go Unreal Tournament 4!

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT4General Discussion

Go Unreal Tournament 4!

Postby xios » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:13 pm

So glad to see UT making a return.

So what mod's are people really looking forward to? What about a new gametype or mod?

I'd like to see sDom/Dom in competitive action. I think Payload from Team Fortress 2 deserves a spot in this game and could be extremely popular.
xios

Re: Go Unreal Tournament 4!

Postby RickJames » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:28 pm

The classics dude- ctf, tdm, 1v1, dom, and instagib variations of all of those.

You mentioned DOM. I have yet to see a nwDOM implementation that was actually enjoyable in a ut game. Just the nature of UT's spammy weaps combined with having a single spot to tag was never a great dynamic for a competitive mod imo, hence why sDOM is so enjoyable. sDOM has the powerup control elements of nw, the very nuanced positioning, movement, and aiming dynamics of hitscan based mods (iDOM), and totally unique teamplay elements with things like amp boosts, rotations between points, etc. Basically the best compromise between insta and weaps, without some of the less enjoyable elements of each when it comes to DOM.

Assault would be really cool, but it's also a ton of work to implement correctly I think. To my knowledge, assault was only successful (for some time) in ut99, and it seemed like the things that made it so great were probably not intended by epic. Piston and rocket launches, creative exploits of map glitches and odd movement eccentricities in the old unreal engine were all really important there.
RickJames

Postby InstaG » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:03 am

Guys, where Can I dl the ut4? the test version
InstaG

Postby Shotman » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:05 pm

Shotman/HeatWave
Shotman

Postby PACO » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:10 pm

Cool thread xios. I'm obviously looking forward to all of the classics like TDM, CTF, iCTF etc. but one of the gametypes I'd really like to see take off is BunnyTracks. A lot of that will depend on movement but just the thought of proper BT on the UE4 engine is droolworthy. I'd also like to see something like sDOM take off but it's brutally cut throat and so I think it'd need a lot of grassroots and community support to get it off of the ground.
PACO

Postby Imperious » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I wouldn't say cutthroat, mainly because it's pretty simple. It's cutthroat now because the community is small and there is a high variance in skill levels.
Imperious

Postby PACO » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:29 pm

PACO

Postby Imperious » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:55 pm

right, but if you have a 2v2 at a point with players of equal high skill level, then the domination wouldn't happen. There are a lot of mismatches now because there are just not enough players that can compete at that level. So essentially, a guy can get stacked + amp and dominate because he's playing against weaker players that let him do it.
Imperious

Postby Morpheus » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:21 am

is nwCTF the focus here? Or 1v1 nw?

I never really understood if the nwCTF really progressed e-sports wise. I find it too complex for people to join and the translocator is the final jab (talking about me personally)

I am looking forward to see the weapons balance in 1v1, tdm, and ofc good old iCTF :twisted:
Morpheus

Postby InfamousRaider » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:42 am

InfamousRaider

Postby kud » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:14 pm

The difficulty is relative to who you're playing with, like most shooters. IR is right that the translocator has a learning curve, but I actually think it's a more approachable learning curve than top-tier IG. Learning the tactics/strategy surrounding the translocator is imo more of a creative/experimental pursuit than the sheer brute force and muscle memory of IG. Things like splash damage and minigun/stinger fire modes boost the viability of strategy/tactics/teamwork prevailing over sheer muscle. Hence the instagib gorilla meme
ImageImageImage
kud

Postby BeasT » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:07 am

I used to play allot of TAm in 2k4, maybe we can bring that back into ut4? was realy fun playing that with nw
BeasT

Return to General Discussion