DOM-Aerowalk

Jump to: Board indexGamesUT99Mapping

DOM-Aerowalk

Postby ulo » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:30 am

Another Quake duel map that has been remade. However compared to earlier maps this one have been extended and have had parts added to it, but the basics are still there. The fun in the map is the different levels and the teleporters which adds a interesting dynamic to the game play.

All credits goes to Einheit who found the map in I think 2k4 and ported it in and have done all the work. The placement of items and spawns are mainly ideas from myself with some added thoughts from Einheit who have done a great work. We both feels this map is ready for testing and hope to get in thoughts to improve it.

Overview of the map and placements:

Dead End Point
Level Overview

Screenshot from point

This point has the feeling of becoming a very gimmicky point which will take it's player to play really well, but the dynamics are interesting and it's partly a brute force point more towards points like Campgrounds Statues or Oldens mid.

Estrade Point
Level Overview

Screenshot from point

This with the Fan point will most likely have some kind of floater between them with the Amplifier being around this point and keg between this and Fan point. It has a special ledge where it's not possible to dodge back and fourth. So if you want to collect items from this point you have to drop from it and could have a little harder time to retake it since it requires a dodge where it's possible to be stopped.

Fan Point
Level Overview

Screenshot from point

This point has the belt as seen in the screenshot, the two way teleporter a few dodges down below belt will take you to keg also. So this point has a good chance of controlling two of the major power ups. It's even possible to control all three from this point, making it important to have your best player on this point. It's even possible that this point will host two players which control the point and the power ups.

Two screenshots from the middle of the map:

We will try and get this up on the servers as soon as possible so it can be tried.

Give your feedback and thoughts here when you have tried the map.
ulo

Re: DOM-Aerowalk

Postby Sauron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 am

Most of the betas aren't on the servers as it is. Why does this always happen?
Sauron

Postby Hermione » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:37 am

I like the look of it and the color scheme, very easy on the eyes unlike some other green slimy dark maps.
Hermione
banned

Postby PACO » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:16 pm

PACO

Postby RickJames » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:44 pm

RickJames

Postby Sauron » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:58 pm

Sauron

Postby PACO » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:28 pm

PACO

Postby PACO » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:05 pm

PACO

Postby D4RR3N » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:54 pm

D4RR3N

Postby ulo » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:02 am

So after this derailment from the main focus I will get us back on track.

We played this a few days ago and noticed some fatal flaws in the map. I am sorry for them and I should have spotted them while testing the map in single player. They have been fixed in the new edit along with some changes to the structure. I will give more detailed descriptions on this once we fix the final issue.

We are looking for help on a matter we have problem with as of now. The teleporters who work perfectly fine on single player sadly get's some conflict with newnet and doesn't work as intended. So if anyone have good knowledge of newnet and teleporters please contact Einheit on IRC to give him some help on the matter.

The problem is that the activation part of the teleporter becomes smaller and in one teleporter doesn't seem to work at all (after testing a different approach). It's most likely possible to solve it by making the teleporters different, but we both really like the look of them and would like if possible to keep them as they are.

So please help us out!
ulo

Postby NakedMan » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:26 am

Teleporters indeed didn't work good , you need to try to jump into a certain spot at the teleporter in order for it to work , if you miss it by a bit you have to do it all over.
A more point oriented problem I noticed was on Estrada which was way to easy to control imo. You can easily snipe down players coming from low , also since the keg and the armor are both near the point the amp can get a strong stack pretty easily and controlling the point is even easier then.
NakedMan

Postby ulo » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:37 pm

So we are finally done fixing the teleporter problems (yes we got timtimed!)

So as said the teleporters had some major problems which was only visible once loaded with newnet. Those should now be fixed, which took a fair amount of patient and trying. Along with this we made a few changes to the map to improve the flow of it.

First and most major changes:
Red Circle: The upper area of Dead End point has been shortened and a railing has been added. The railing is there to block view slightly for a player in control. It's also possible to dodge from the railing towards the armor.
Black Circle: The armor and keg was way to close to each other before, so we made it impossible to grab them fast. Now you have to go via high from Dead End point or make the elevator jump to it. Should give the focus more toward the Dead End point.
Blue Circle: We opened up the entrance low to the Dead End point to get that way easier access.
Yellow Circle: We changed the window part into Dead End point to allow more sniping into it, making it a less viable place to hold the point from.

Yellow Circle: Once again you can see the remade part of Dead End windows. It's now more possible to snipe from this position also.
The blue arrow is pointing towards a ammo pack that was added since I ran out of ammo and couldn't find one close :P.

Black: Moved ammo pack.
Blue: Added health pack
Yellow: Removed the 3 vials down here and replaced with thigh pads instead

Download Link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/s99oyg

Should be up on ip1 and ip2 with a redirect.

Please give feedback!
ulo

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:07 am

Watched this on the stream last night, haven't actually been able to play it myself yet... But it seems the boost angle is a bit too hard vis-a-vis the time it takes for people to get there? Perhaps a slightly easier boost would mean people are more likely to try and get it?
Not necessarily as easy as the olden boost, but something that does not require ad precise positioning, jumping and boosting in a high traffic area.

Support OwnedWell with four clicks & stay up to date <3.

HULKSMASH

Postby ulo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:11 am

Have given and discussed some suggestions with a few players who played the map yesterday so hopefully a new version comes tonight, where the amp should be a lot easier to boost to!
ulo

Postby rain » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:51 am

Spawns need adjustment majorly from I could tell on TS playing this last night.

Having only playing the 'dead end' point, I can say that this point needs to be opened up - the location of it in the corner is fine but it needs to be more accessible to be a more competitive point.

Also, powerups need moving around, I'm pretty sure amp wasn't taken once during our time playing the map.
rain

Postby Viperzz^ » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:15 pm

Rain-senpai is correct. Dead end needs to be more open. Spawn right in front of the point could be removed to the platform above the point?
Viperzz^

Postby Monk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 pm

I enjoyed this the least of the new maps I’ve tried. The high point felt way too easy to get to once you knew the route. The dodge from the portal makes it almost impossible to defend as they can dodge literally straight on to it. Only players with mouse acceleration would be able to react fast enough to kill a guy before he gets it. The dynamic of not being able to dodge back once you’re over there means once you’re there you kinda just stay there. You don’t really control powerups, you can’t even really push up and control entrances, I guess once you have lock down and map knowledge you'll just push up and spawn kill / snipe mid? That prospect doesn't seem very fun either.

I didn’t play Dead End but the premise of it seems horrible to me. I’m no big fan at all of a CP with one place you have to aim at to see your opponent every time.

With the size (small) of this map and the layout of the CPs I have a feeling that it would play very much like Cinder – an iDOM like experience.

I do like some of the gimics like the portal walls and stuff though. I'd have to play it again to try and think about how it could be improved.

Admittedly, the fan point looked like a lot of fun.
Monk

Postby ulo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Took the thoughts and stats from last game and thought about it and how to improve the map and the result is the following:

Estrade Point:
Amplifier and keg has been moved and bunched together. The point is further away from where you land with the taking the teleporter to make defending the point still viable. The length of the Estrade (platform) has been increased to allow for the space to defend the point from people coming through. It's also lowered to the level of the slopes before, which will make it harder to shoot at someone from low if they are defending it in a corner.

I still think and believe it's a good thing your not able to dodge back and forth between the platforms. Mainly cause it would put the teleporter to less use and it wouldn't force people to drop if they want to collect items. It's supposed to work kinda like Olden mid in the respect that once on the point you have the position advantage but not the item advantage. So you have to chose what is more important. It's also usually 2 guys playing the point so it's fully possible to have one collect items and defend the upper parts while one is on the point and defend it versus the teleport and low. That's at least the thoughts in which the point was constructed.

Dead End Point:

Behind the armor has been opened up to allow another way into the Dead End. It's not meant to be a new superb location to defend on, but if your aim is on point it should be possible to defend it and deny the opponent to tag your point while helping the other points out. It's also a fast way back for anyone trying to time armor and going for it. Even more forcing the player in "control" to push out of the point and leave one of the now 3/4 (depending on how far out you consider) entrances open for a attacker.

EDIT: I forgot about the red circles which are a moved spawn on the low right, to give less of a angle to shoot a spawning player and the added spawn on top left. That should give more pressure from that side on the player in control.

This point is made to be a gimmicky point, which only a very few people will like or master. It's thought to be in the place of points like Campgrounds Statues, Peak Low or even Olden Mid. Very specialized points which only a few people like to play. However we still want it to have a flow to it and the thoughts on it got me thinking about this new "drop in" solution to the flow. I hope this point will be allowed to be a gimmicky point and that a few people get into it and starts to master it well.

Thanks for trying the map out and providing feedback on it! Only way to evolve it forward :)

Download link:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/kirtua

Hope to have it up on the servers within the day (also redirected)

If you play it keep providing feedback here please :)
Last edited by ulo on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ulo

Postby blackout\\ » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:41 pm

the map to me on stream and spectator looked fun, with all these improvements already the following day, i can't wait to try these changes. Thanks ulo!
blackout\\

Postby rain » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Another thing I could suggest for the dead end point is to move the current portal to the point in a more accessible place as well. That will keep the point more competitive as well.
rain

Postby bug » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:04 am

i didn't play that map yet but on first view, i think the amp is too easy to get.

what about adding doors which have to be activated by someone of another cp? just like the concept of the belt location on olden.

or something new like a hazardous trap (slime, spikes, skaarj-shots) which is automatically activated by a known timestamp
bug

Return to Mapping