Headsets

Jump to: Board indexCommunityGeneral discussion

Headsets

Postby ramdrop » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:50 pm

Hello fellow Ownedwell'ers,

I bought a Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 surround sound USB headset almost a year ago and it's starting to make some funny static noises, I think that the cable is coming loose or something, anyway, this brings me to my question.

I'm in the market for a decent headset, my pc is only capable of 5.1 I believe and so I'm looking for a new 5.1 headset.

I've done a little research about whats good and whats not, I havent really decided on whether or not to get a wireless headset, but I would be open to suggestions.

The headsets that I have considered:-

-Siberia v3
- Roccat Kave (again)
- Astro A40 (I know it's 7.1, but all reviews seem to say that it's a fantastic headset, but not sure if my pc can use 7.1)

What does everybody use and recommend?
ramdrop

Re: Headsets

Postby csnafk » Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:19 am

I use the Logitech G930 and I've never been disappointed, also ,never going back to wired headset again. I've heard the Siberia v3 is amazing as well
csnafk

Postby KillEmAll » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:51 am

I have been really impressed with these Corsair H2100.

KillEmAll

Postby blade » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Very few headphones have true surround sound.. In fact, majority of headphones listed as Surround Sound use virtual surround sound, which uses software to emulate surround sound while using only 2 speakers.

If you want great sound quality, get high quality headphones that can do virtual surround sound (almost all can). The problem with true surround sound headphones is that since you need to place multiple separate speakers in it, the quality of each speaker goes down as they have to average out cost between multiple speakers. With a stereo headphone, the cost averages out only between 2 speakers, increasing the quality of each speaker. Get a separate attachable high-quality microphone: http://www.modmic.com/

If you want to go this path, I can recommend some high quality headphones that will blow majority of headsets out of the water in sound quality. Otherwise, get the Corsair H2100.

What's your budget?

Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Postby d3R » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 am

d3R

Postby ramdrop » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:28 pm

I;m open budget wise, I would rather pay a little more for something that would last longer then something that would last say a couple of months.

Looked at some more now:

Astro A50
Siberia 800
Logitech G930
ramdrop

Postby xios » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:54 pm

FYI ram, there's a slightly older thread with various opinions on this already - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=673

Personally I still like my Steelseries H Wireless headset and am glad I spend the extra cash. I think the fact that I can hot swap the battery out in less than 5 seconds to maintain continuous wireless sound all the time makes them worth it (unlike the h2100's) and the sound quality is outstanding for a wireless headset. They also rest on my head and ears nicely with perfect conformity. I just leave the left ear cover off all the time to make it easy to swap batteries and it's been working great.

I think the review video below between 3 top wireless contenders is a pretty accurate comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iK0SgBfQiQ
xios

Postby ttocston » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:55 pm

Astro A50s!!!
ttocston

Postby ramdrop » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:08 pm

Thanks for your comments, I've now narrowed it down to two headsets...

Astro A50 & Steelseries H Wireless..

I've used Steelseries products before and have been very happy with them and so I'm quite inclined to get them, I also like the fact that you can have two batterys.

But on the other hand, I've heard some great reviews about the A50 and the headset itself looks pretty good.
ramdrop

Return to General discussion