DDR4

Jump to: Board indexCommunityGeneral discussion

DDR4

Postby Bas » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:53 am

Anybody started using this yet im curios as looking at a new build soonish just wondering if anybody has it yet.
Bas

Re: DDR4

Postby blade » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:02 pm

Depends on your needs. The difference between DDR3 and 4 is truly not significant.. maybe 4-5% is an estimate on the higher end. That difference is worth it for processor-heavy applications where every percent counts & where there is huge amount of data necessary to store & transfer for short-term. For gaming though, 5% translates into a few extra frames on average more.

My advise.. With all things considered and the cost of DDR4, that difference does not warrant an upgrade with focus on ram. Your #1 priority BY FAR should be videocard as games are more graphics card dependent now than ever before. Processor should of course be #2. Look, even a SSD over a regular hard-drive will have more impact than DDR4 over DDR3. DDR4 has higher ceiling in bandwidth but that won't be felt for gaming for years..

With the amount of video ram you find on videocards nowadays, I won't be surprised if eventually both are combined into one. TBH, I don't know why both are STILL SEPARATE for non-servers.. The concern in the early ages was that ram had to be closer to processor so processor could quickly store excess information to ram. AGP and the video slots before were not fast enough to store & move data to and from the processor fast enough (videoram was also expensive to compress onto videocard). It is MUCH more efficient to have both on same panel now especially with the speeds you get with PCI-Express.

Anyways, excuse my rant. Spend more on videocard and do not worry about DDR4. You will be perfectly fine with DDR3.

Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Postby Hermione » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm thinking of making a new PC as my 4770k might soon be outdated, i want DDR4 and the newest intel chip. I know the speed and performance will be unnoticeable for me because i do basic things, light gaming, watching movies and word processing etc.. But the new stuff sounds cooler.
Hermione
banned

Postby macz » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:18 am

macz

Postby blade » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:14 pm

Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Postby Hermione » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Hermione